adult protein needs

coach hale

Dietary guidelines should reflect new understandings about adult protein needs. Nutrition & Metabolism 2009, 6:12 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-6-12
Commentary by Donald Layman

Abstract
Dietary Guidelines for Americans provide nutrition advice aimed at promoting healthy dietary choices for life-long health and reducing risk of chronic diseases. With the advancing age of the population, the 2010 Dietary Guidelines confront increasing risks for age-related problems of obesity, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, heart disease, and sarcopenia. New research demonstrates that the meal distribution and amount of protein are important in maintaining body composition, bone health and glucose homeostasis. This editorial reviews the benefits of dietary protein for adult health, addresses omissions in current nutrition guidelines, and offers concepts for improving the Dietary Guidelines.

I have posted Layman's conclusions and some of my thoughts on my blog www.maxcondition.com (bottom of homepage). Please drop by and comment. Should be an interesting discussion.

thanks,
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com

When you said "Protein needs are proportional to body weight; NOT energy intake", it jumped into my lap. Somehow, I hadn't gotten that from K&N and felt a re-read was in order. I had been wondering about the protein needs on non-workout days, and that answers it.
I gauge that I'm getting enough protein when my 'ol lady is complaining about the gasbombs.

I was told the other day in a discussion about egg whites, that the pasteurized ones in the carton are better than whites directly from an egg, albeit less protein content.
Huh?
On box: Ingredients - Egg Whites.

If you were to regularly eat a lot of raw egg whites, over time, you would open yourself up to biotin deficiency. Egg whites contain high levels of avidin, a protein that binds the vitamin biotin strongly.

Apart from sorting out any salmonella, when cooked/pasteurized, avidin is denatured and becomes entirely non-toxic.

That's my understanding anyway.

i cant understand anyone that throws away the yokes
rock.gif
manup eat it all
biggrin.gif

Yeah I agree. the yolk is very nutritious and contains some extra protein. I do understand if someone thinks it becomes too much calories, but still, I dont like throwing away food (especially healthy).
If someone brings up cholesterol as an argument, well then they believe in the old myth that it is unhealthy to eat dietary cholesterol (no matter the source), which there has never been any evidence supporting anyway.

<div>
(Brixtonian @ Aug. 07 2009,8:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">and taste gross.... or is that just me?</div>
I kind of like them, although the consistency is weird. I prefer the taste of the yolk tho.

I tried drinking some raw eggs once, Rocky style, but they came back up as fast as they went down! Since then, I've only ever had raw eggs in shakes. These days, I always cook them.

Back