Alcohol Induced Thermogenesis

colby2152

Diet induced thermogenesis
BY Klaas R Westerterp

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The higher DIT value of alcohol and protein compared with carbohydrate and fat has implications for the effect of these nutrients on energy balance. However, the main effect on energy balance does not seem to be primarily linked to the lower bioavailability of alcohol-and protein energy than that of fat and carbohydrate. Alcohol energy is largely additive to the normal diet but does not seem to affect energy balance positively [18]. Protein plays a key role in food intake regulation through satiety related to DIT [19].

Alcohol forms a significant component of many diets and it supplements rather than displaces daily energy intake. Alcohol consumption as an aperitif has even been shown to result in a higher subsequent intake with no intake compensation afterwards [20]. Yet, alcohol intake does not systematically increase body weight. In a recent study, it was shown that subjects with higher alcohol consumption are habitually more active [21]. This may be one explanation for the lack of increasing body weight through additional energy intake from alcohol.</div>

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/5

Coach Hale, your comments would be appreciated since I found this article through your website.

This is from one of Lyle's recent newsletters...

&quot;A recent paper found that 40 g alcohol per day increased levels of a hormone called adiponectin. Released from fat cells, adiponectin is one of the hormones that actually goes up with weight/fat loss. Among other things it improves skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity and activates something called AMPk which is involved in fat burning.&quot;

More on alcohol and calories...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Alcohol is second only to fat in energy density. A gram of alcohol (ethanol) has seven calories. An ounce of pure alcohol has 200 calories, and mixed drinks often contain more. Those are the basics, but there’s more that you need to know.

&quot;Our bodies metabolize alcohol in ways that enhance the likelihood that excess calories will wind up as fat,&quot; Rolls and Barnett write. From the standpoint of weight, there’s no problem if you don’t exceed your energy needs. Alcoholic beverages combined with high-fat, high-calorie foods is what promotes weight gain. That’s because the body gives preference to burning alcohol, which is a poison that can’t be stored; it must be metabolize immediately. As a result, the other calories eaten are more likely to be deposited as fat.

Worse still, &quot;calories from alcoholic beverages slink into your body without triggering satiety signals,&quot; the authors warn, &quot;so we don’t compensate by eating less.&quot; We often eat more than we would normally, because alcohol lowers our inhibitions against overeating. I’ve found that to be true in my case; a cocktail tends to prime my appetite. I rarely drink, because I know I’ll probably eat more than I really want if I do.</div>

I found some good articles related to this via google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=alcohol+adiponectin

Very interesting stuff. There have been so many studies showing the beneficial effects on the body of daily moderate alcohol intake. Apparently drinking one or two drinks daily is associated not only with slighly higher iq, but also a moderate decrease in risk of death of all forms.

I'm on a PSMF right now, so I'm not drinking 200 grams of alcohol per day, but I may consider doing so on my free meals and during my breaks. I'll just swap out dessert for a shot of whiskey.
biggrin.gif

One drink is just fine, but when you are cutting, it's something that unfortunately cannot be afforded if you want to make your goals.

Back