alcohol

jmm

I almost stopped drinking about 6 months ago, as I had lots of work on and was trying to get in shape (not quite stopped, but have a drink or two every few weeks at most). Now I'm stuffing my face most of the time to try to put on weight, and the idea of a couple of drinks per week is starting to appeal ;)

The calories shouldn't be a problem - I could just eat slightly fewer carbs on days I have a glass of wine, to compensate... Is moderate drinking going to cause problems with training/gains, though, as obviously I could carry on (almost) not drinking...

I know quite a few people who've stopped drinking along with going to the gym, but no-one seems that clear as to why it's bad. So if anyone's got a sense as to if/why it's bad, or links to studies on this, that'd be appreciated
biggrin.gif

Excessive alcohol can negatively affect testosterone levels. But an occasional drink probably isn't hurting anything.

Moderate to light alcoholic consumption will not hurt you or your fitness. You are in the range of VERY LIGHT right now. Even one drink/day is light. It is impossible to say exactly how much alcohol is unhealthy, but more than one drink/day is getting closer to the fuzzy 'detrimental-to-your-health' line. If you are consuming only a few drinks/week you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Of course if you are consuming multiple drinks on a daily basis, not only is your liver getting pissed off, but you are dehydrating your body and doing other things which are not advantageous to muscle growth!
smile.gif

Great - just what I wanted to hear
smile.gif
So, is moderate drinking in the eye of the half-pint holder ;)

Personally, the downside with heavy drinking was the hangover's - when it's hard to crawl out of bed and you spend lots of a day praying to the porcelin god, that's not good for training, or eating, or just in general...

Back