Androsten(e)dione

tripleM

I'm a 25 year old male and I have a very hard time gettig rid of my acne which has been a part of my life for 12 years now. That's why my doc has recently taken some blood samples and had them examined.
The androgeneous hormones like Testosterone and DHEA are ok but my Androstenedione is at 3.4 something (can't remember the correct units, sorry). 2.4 is supposed to be the upper limit for males, i.e. my Androstenedione is at 142% of the upper limit! Androstenedione is the direct precursor of Testosterone.
So what does this do for hypertrophy (and life in general)? I did some research on the web and found tons of information, most of the stated 'facts' contradicting each other, e.g. that supplemented Androstenedione increases the Testosterone levels in the blood by several hundred % for up to 90 minutes AND that it does nothing like this. You just gotta love the Internet! :confused:

Any (hobby) endocrinologists active in this board?

Androstenedione is converted via the 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzyme (17b-HSD) to testosterone

Image6.gif

so testosterone levels essentially depends on the competition for (e.g. DHEA converts into 5-AD via 17b-HSD), as well as total levels of the enzyme. Higher levels of androstenedione would suggest you have a potential for higher testosterone levels, but as suggested it depends on various factors whether it really translates into this. Androstenedione doesn't have any significant affinity for the androgen receptor, hence it relies on conversion to accomplish any anabolic effects.

Is there any kind of legal food/supplement which contains the 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzyme or which helps the body to produce more of that enzyme?

Here's a review:

Can J Appl Physiol 2002 Dec;27(6):628-46

Effects of prohormone supplementation in humans: a review.

Ziegenfuss TN, Berardi JM, Lowery LM.

Pinnacle Institute of Health and Human Performance, Wadsworth, OH and Phoenix Laboratories, 140 Lauman Lane, Hicksville, NY.

Despite a relative dearth of information on their effects, supplementation with prohormones has become a popular practice. Unlike synthetic anabolic-androgenic steroids, many of these over-the-counter androgens are produced endogenously by adrenal, gonadal and peripheral steroidogenic pathways as part of the normal sexual and reproductive hormonal milieu. It has been contended that peripheral enzymatic conversion of these prohormones to testosterone or nortestosterone (via ingestion of androstenedione/androstenediol or 19-nor-androstenedione/androstenediol, respectively) might lead to anabolic and/or ergogenic effects. Existing data suggest that acute oral ingestion of 200 mg androstenedione or androstenediol modestly and transiently increases serum testosterone concentrations in men; however, this is accompanied by greater increases in circulating estrogen(s). At doses < 300 mg/d, oral supplementation for as long as 12-weeks with androstenedione or androstenediol has no effect on body composition or physical performance and decreases high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Similarly, oral supplementation with norandrostenedione and norandrostenediol for up to eight weeks has no effect on body composition or physical performance. In light of these data, new products have been developed that use alternative modes of prohormone administration (sublingual/transbuccal and cyclodextrin-complexation). Future studies should critically examine the effects of these approaches. However, within the framework of the research reviewed, over-the-counter oral prohormone supplementation is ineffective at increasing muscle mass or athletic performance. As a result of the potential health concerns that have been raised, the risk to benefit ratio of using these substances orally seems unfavorable

wow.gif
1-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Calkid @ Jan. 25 2003,3
wow.gif
1)]Tough acne? In a word, accutane. Ask your dermatologist about it.
what has been the latest on the side effects though? my acne was once bad enough to consider it, but because at the time there was a possible link with suicide/depression being publicized (and i myself not being all too emotionally healthy then either), we opted out. plus, i think i remember that it's KNOWN to possibly hamper night vision enough that some people can't safely drive at night while on the medication.

Back