anecdotal bromocriptine experience?

mikeynov

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did manage to get my grubby hands on a bottle...though I'm not planning on using it just yet. Has anyone experimented with employing this during periods of dieting? Lyle has commented that it doesn't work so well to partition calories towards muscular gains when overfeeding (or implied, anyways), though the gist seems to be that it should prove useful when dieting.

Some of the anecdotal reports of side effects have scared me a bit. I'll probably start at 2.5 mg a day max, perhaps half of that.

Have you searched MFW?? That is Lyle's playground and where he has promoted the book, so it is likely to be one of the better places to find feedback.

I've been using it for the past several weeks. Here's a summary of what I've experienced. Take it for what it's worth.

I started at 1.25mg, and stayed there for a week due to the sides: persistent, intermittent headache, lethargy/drowsiness, and stuffy nose. Basically, sorta like a cold. Moved up to 2.5mg, and the sides stayed the same and even lessened a bit. Stayed at 2.5mg for 3 days, and moved to 3.75mg. At this point, I started noticing a drop in libido. Since some have suggested bromo may interfere with normal LH production, I was worried the bromo might be lowering my test levels. I emailed Lyle and after looking into it, he admitted it is an issue in rats, but there is no consensus about humans. He also mentioned that, even if it was an issue, since prolactin peaks from 2am-10am, if one takes the bromo in the morning he should avoid any problems. He thought my loss of libido might be due to stress and/or non-existent saturated fat intake(which for some reason I'd stupidly missed) I went off bromo for a few days, starting eating some saturated fat, and had no problems so I went back on. After starting up, I had no problems with libido, so I suspect my symptoms were, indeed, caused by a lack of saturated fat in my diet. I'd only gone off for two days, and started back at 2.5mg, but the side effects were probably the worst at this point. I altered my diet yesterday, and due to a lowered carb intake(though not ketogenic) and unforutunately went hypoglycemic after my workout yesterday(fairly certain of this. About an hour after finishing my workout I started sweating, trembling, had severe headache and nausea, slightly blurred vision in the peripheral vision of my left eye. Ending up throwing up) The situation resolved after I consumed 50g of carbs--though, even then it took 2-3 hours(which is a bit puzzling, actually) I would definitely recommend avoiding(or at the very least being extremely careful if using a low carb diet in conjunction with bromo.
Bromo does work superbly at suppressing appetite(I would say better than anything I've tried, including norephedrine), and although I wasn't using it long it seemed to be helping with my fat loss. I am trying to figure out how to integrete it with my current diet/training approach--without putting myself in a hypoglycemic coma--although it simply may not be possible.

Back