Another newbie

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by Razien99, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Razien99

Razien99 New Member

Ok i just joined up and im very new to lifting, just started before christmas weighing only 143lbs..now i have quite a few questions..
    Ive never lifted before so my maxs are incredibly low, for example:
    For rear delts im doing rear lateral db raises & for 15 reps i can only lift 2.5 kgs on each dumbell. Which would be 5.5lbs, so how am i supposed to create a decent increment from such a low number? Id have to start with no weight..and i dont see how this would do anything for me. [​IMG]
    And dips & chins i can only just do 15 reps using my bodyweight...so how am i supposed to create any progressive overload for the first 2 weeks...unless i do less reps..but surely that wouldn't produce much lactic acid. I dont currently have access to a gym..so i have nothing that could assist me in these exercises.
    Also im currently doing dumbell squats, is there a big difference between these and barbell squats other than being able to hold more weight with a barbell ? I do have a barbell but as im working out at home & still looking to increase my flexability & form on squats..im doing dumbell squats for the time being. hmmm
    Ok thats all i have for now, ill continue to look around the site..thanks for any help.

2. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

The rule of thumb is to start off at 70% of your RM for a given exercise. If it is 2.5 kgs, then start off with 1.5 kgs and do:

1.5, 1.5, 2.0, 2.0, 2.5, 2.5

If you do not have those DB's, then do 2.5 all the way through... or even find something else you can lift that is lighter.

You don't have an assisted machine, so either:

A) do the 15 reps all the way through
    B) increment by one rep each day:
    10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Once you hit the 10's, you can add weight.

DB vs BB... do whatever you want as long as you are doing the exercise correctly.

Hopefully that helped..

-Colby

3. Razien99

Razien99 New Member

Ok cheers for helping out.
    Would i use the 70% rule of thumb on all exercises?
    For my bi's 15 RM i have 7.5kgs...70% of that is 5.25kg...so how would i create any decent increments? for 6 days that would mean an increment of around .40kg = just under 1lb. Where as ive read that i should create increments of 5lbs for smaller bodyparts & try 10lbs for larger ones. So am i doing my maths wrong, or is it just a case of needing smaller increments because im new to it all.
    In terms of rear delts ill do what you said. Lowest weights i have are 1.25kg then 2.5kgs. Ill find something in the house lighter than the 1.25 and do that for 2 days..then 1.25 for 2 days..then 2.5kgs for 2 days. Will these weights be heavy enough to induce hypertrophy? From what ive read its just a matter of my muscle tissues conditioning..so though the weights arent heavy..they should apply some stress to my muscle ? Just trying to make sure im taking things in right.

4. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

you could go

2.5, 2.5, 5, 5, 7.5, 7.5

I am not sure what your increments are though

5. liegelord

liegelord New Member

Forget the lateral raises and hit only compounds with a barbell, that will allow you to use the most weight for each body part. Do squats, deadlifts, bench, bent row, dips, chins, power cleans and standing presses. A lot of people split them into A & B workouts i.e., A: squats, bench, row, press; B: deadlift, dip, chin, press.

6. Fausto

Fausto HST Expert

Razien99

Welcome to HST.

Ah...good ol'Liege got it in the bull's eye, forget the isolations now dude, use the compounds to get some meat on your frame. :D

For 15's do with body weight, many guys can't even do 5 with bodyweight, others use an chin-assist or dip-assist machine, so KUDUS TO YOU MATE! [​IMG]

Forget progression till the 10's, add maybe 5 kg and progress to 10 during the 10's, then 15 - 20 during the 5's, whatever you can lift added to you. If you can add anything, use one set of pulldowns and progress there!

Hope you came right [​IMG]