Arm Injury

Ruthenian

I've injuried my left arm fairly badly.  This has happened before (though not as bad) and I have finally figured out that it is from bad form.   It started in the brachioradialis and is kind of like tennis elbow.  I now find myself severely restricted on pulling exercises --  I just started a new cycle and can only make 10-12 on my 15 RM before the arm starts to give out.

What do you guys think I should do for lats? I hate to quit for the six months it may take to heal.  Some ideas I had:
- Use the pull-over machine at the gym, but this means I can't do my entire workout at home.  
- I may be able to grind through it at half normal volume (3x5 rather than 30 reps) with enough intervening rest between sets.  This seems less than ideal, but might allow me to maintain current muscle.  
- Some other pull-over exercise using DBs or BB at home.

Any input is appreciated.

I've got the same problem...since you've had it before and recognize that your restricted, I'm sure you know you'll have to baby it.

some interesting reading in the FAQ...look for Selecting exercises and related topics...and then maybe 2/3 of the way into the 1st page, look for Treatment for sore elbows - and sore joints in general.

I once encountered the same problem...my best advise is to give your body time to heal.

There's nothing worse than not being able to do anything. Take a couple of weeks off and SD. If you push it too much like I did you'll end up with a year off and no weight training at all.

Eliminate the elbows. Go over to the pullup bar, and put your arms in the slings they use for leg raises and lift yourself and some weights that way. There are guys with no arm parts who work out using slings of various sorts. While you're at it, you can use the same position to hit the laterals...

Your ROM will be less, but hey, at least you'll keep your gains. You could even grow I'd think.

Back