back to basics diet

Brixtonian

Hi.
Haven't been on the forum in a while, though do check in and read up every so often....

In short, I'm 38yrs, 6ft, 280lb (about 20/25% bf) and been training for about 20yrs.
HST 'vanilla-flavour' (as Bob Evans calls it!) since 2002.

Training's always been ok - especially since HST (after years of HIT)

My weakness has always been my diet - hence the high bf%.

I've been off training for a month, thanks to a slipped disc.... oh, and two weeks at Disney, Florida!

So, I'm starting training again this coming week. Just need some back to basics advice on diet please guys.

I'm looking at bwt X 16 (4200 kcals) with 25% being protein (about 280g) the rest primarily complex carbs?

Is this still about right? I've tried high protein diets (up to 400g per day) over the years, and made some good progress, but re-reading Bryan's diet plan, he suggests anything over 1g/lb bwt, or 25% of daily Kcals, is a waste?

I'm looking for a bit more muscle growth, as lean as possible ideally.

Any advice always welcome.

Thank you

First off, consider losing some of that bf first.  For three reasons:
1.  Your insulin sensitivity will get better.
2.  The body is more anabolic at lower bodyfat %ages, partially due to 1.
3.  You'll see your gains.

If you're not persuaded then I can hand you the following:
1. Cardio for 15 minutes after a workout unless this causes your workout to exceed 75 minutes.  This will increase your insulin sensitivity.
2.  Learn about carb cycling.
3.  Take supplements to increase your insulin sensitivity such as fish oil.

And my number one recommendation is that you broaden your cooking ability and recipe awareness.

Thanks Q.P.

I do agree that I need to lose bf. I'm about 22% (caliper measurements) but I guess - having been a very skinny kid - that I'm a bit paranoid about losing muscle too.
I worked very hard for what I have, and seem to lose it quite quickly...

What sort of calorie intake do you think I should be aiming for then, to lose fat, and minimise muscle loss?
Is 4200 too high?

I would be grateful on your input re protein levels too? Is 280g about right for my bwt? Works about about 25% of my total cals.

I do 20mins cardio after 45mins weights 3X a week.

I'm a bit 'old school' with regards to diet, and dont know much about carb cycling etc... and coupled with a job where I work shifts and am out and about all day, with unpredictable meal breaks (I'm a cop!) I would find it very difficult to be specific in these instances.
I live on sandwiches and protein shakes!

Thanks again for your advice

Brix

If you want something basic, why not just cut out 500 calories per day and see what happens. I'd try to cut mostly carbs and keep protien and fat about the same. That should have you losing about a pound a week.

Also, you could try adding one or two cardio sessions on your off days.

Thanks Franko.

I've cut to about 3360 kcals per day (bwt X 12)
keeping my protein at about 280g (1g/lb bwt) - slightly above 25%

Does that sound ok to you?

I'm really not very good at getting this diet planning right, so any advice is always appreciated

Cheers

Brix

Oh, and I'm also doing 15/20 mins of cardio after weights, (so 3X a week)

Generally I do treadmill on an incline, as I dont enjoy running - something to do with being 6ft and 280lb - huge stress on my long over-abused knees!

I do occaisonally do HIIT or wind-sprints (?) i.e; walk, jog, sprint...

I could do extra cardio on off days? Just worried about over doing it as regards my joints, and also dont want to lose muscle either?

Brix

There is a high fat diet (!) called the Metabolic Diet written by DiPasquel. People have added muscle while losing bodyfat on his plan.

People have also added muscle and lost bodyfat while doing carb cycling.

If you cut your calories you will lose muscle. That is a fact.

I'm afraid you'll have to do your homework and read up on one of the newer methods. You can buy the Metabolic Diet on Amazon.com. Or use the search function on T-nation.com and search for carb cycling under articles. A bodybuilding coach did a thorough write up on it.

Thank you.

The Metabolic diet looks interesting.
I will try reducing my carbs anyway. Though its difficult, as I have a family, and carbs tend to be a staple of our diet at the moment.

I'll have a look at carb cycling too.
My problem is that I work shifts, and quite often ama bit limited in what I can eat - I often need something quick and filling.... sandwiches were always easiest.
I guess I'll have to look at alternatives.

Cheers

Brix

Well, I've started my Metabolic Diet.... two weeks now and lost about 8lb - hopefully all bf?

I started on my SD week, so didnt suffer too much from loss of energy while I adapted, and am now on the first week of my 15's, so nothing too heavy.

It seems ok.
I'm hitting about 430g protein (which is very hard to do, even with protein powder! And using isolate (expensive) as whey blends have too many carbs)
and less than 50g - usually - carbs... also quite hard to do.
The rest is fats. A lot of quality olive oil helps.
Total cals about 3700.

One day - normally Sunday (non-training day) is my carb up day. Aim for about 200-250g carbs.

Does this sound about right? for those in the know?
This is all new to me, and the weakness in my knowledge!

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Brix

Back