BCAAs

Bruin

Are there any particular foods that have high concentrations of BCAAs, or are they something that is available in high concentrations mainly in supplements? I have seen a lot of articles discussing the merits of these amino acids and was curious about natural sources. Thanks!

Meat, eggs, milk all have good amounts of BCAA. BCAA are essentials so anything that is high in essential amimo acids will also generally have a large amount of BCAA but the amount of each BCAA will vary, for example.

1 hardboiled egg 12.6 grams protein
1.07 gm Leucine
.68 Isoluecine
.76 Valine

3 oz lean sirloin total protein 26 grams
2 gm Leucine
1.2 gm Isoluecine
1.1 gm Valine

If you are really interested in knowing the content of the foods you eat including amino acids then go to USDA and download their free reference table. THey are up to release 19 now and you can access it at

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=8964

Thanks for the help Dan!  My roomate who is a microbio major saw me looking up amino acid profiles and he was amazed that someone would actually be learning about them out of personal interest!

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Nov. 19 2006,08:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1 hardboiled egg 12.6 grams protein
1.07 gm Leucine
.68 Isoluecine
.76 Valine</div>
Um........those are like totally not chicken eggs right? A large chicken egg has 6 grams of protein........

To maximise my efforts, I've been taking BCAA powder, which gives me 2500mg of L-Leucine, 1500mg of L-Valine, 1000mg of L-Isoleucine, and 1000mg of Glutamine...along with 2-3g of extra Glutamine, all twice a day.

Now, I could just eat 3 eggs before the workout, but there's no WAY I could add them to my blender-sized workout shake that I drink before and through the workouts.

It's more expensive, (about $80 for 166 servings) than eggs or whey, but I can cut down the amount with the shakes, since they have some BCAA's allready. My total Glutamine for a day is about 6g.

I just make an omelet minus the cheese, add some bell peppers and jalepenos, and some garlic powder, and it tastes great.........least when I make it.

<div>
(Cova @ Nov. 28 2006,23:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Dan Moore @ Nov. 19 2006,08:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1 hardboiled egg 12.6 grams protein
1.07 gm Leucine
.68 Isoluecine
.76 Valine</div>
Um........those are like totally not chicken eggs right? A large chicken egg has 6 grams of protein........</div>
Sorry that was per 100 gm serving which is about 2 whole large hardbolied eggs

Back