BF 23% What should i cut down too ?

projectaero

Hey guys,
Firstly i would like to say i know this would not normally go in a diet and nutrition sub forum, but its the only one which is in relevance to my query.

Just wanting to get your opinion on what size i should cut down too.
I have given myself from today to December 15th to cut down before i start a bulking phase.
As i dont wanto start bulking now as i have a high bf%

My pic located here:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/716/bbmh0.jpg

As you can see in the last pic (Side Triceps) the gut i have on me, Sorry i havent got a front relaxed shot forgot to take that photo.

Here are my specs:
Age 22
Height (cm) 178 5'10
Weight (lbs) 176
Bf% 23
Fat 41
LBM 135

What i am wanting to know tho is when will be the correct time to clean bulk.
I have thought of going down to 155 pounds then bulk or 15% bf but i am unsure.

Any help would gladly be appreciated.

Hi,
are you new to training? No ofense meant but in the piccies you look pretty new so if it was me I would eat at maintenance and do vanilla HST and you will probably lose fat and gain muscle at the same time for a while. When either the fat loss or the muscle gain stalls you can look at it again. One of many ways I suspect.
J
smile.gif

Heheh I think vanilla means following the basic, simple plan that Bryan describes on the website, without all the tinkering that vets have to do, training 3 days p/w, increasing weights everyworkout to your RMs, 1-2sets, eating healthy and lots of protein, etc. etc.

One of the great things about being new is that your body response well to pretty much any training at all.

<div>
(projectaero @ Sep. 10 2006,22:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">vanilla HST ?</div>
I think he just means the program pretty much just as it is written, without a lot of changes.

Probably not bad advice, either. I'd worry more about adding muscle than cutting right now, but like Jazzer said if pretty new you can probably add some strength and muscle with at worst minimal fat gains for a time. Track calories and measurements. I'd say to make sure that you're at least not losing weight, if strength and measurements don't increase and you're not gaining weight, then increase the calories. Do make sure to get at least close to 1gm protein per pound of bodyweight.

you dont look 23% to me.
5'10&quot; 176lbs is not big no matter what bf %
5&quot;10&quot; 155lbs is really not big no matter what bf%

you do have more fat on you then muscle but at your size i would think adding muscle would be a better idea then cutting fat. i realize many advocate leaning up before bulking so you have more &quot;bf room&quot; but im just not sure your going to be happy with being lean but with very little muscle.

with hard work and a good diet you can gain decent muscle size in a few yrs. with the same hard work and good diet you can drop signif. amounts of body fat in a few months. which one do you think you should get started on 1st.

<div>
(projectaero @ Sep. 10 2006,10:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just wanting to get your opinion on what size i should cut down too.</div>
What I would do is to forget about cutting, and do the following:

1. Eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight
2. Find your basic metabolic rate --- BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age)
3. Multiply that number by 1.6
4. Multiply that number by 20%, and then add that number to the number you got after doing #3
The result is how many calories you are to consume per day.  

Do that until you can do the following:
A. Bench Press 300 lbs with no spotters (use power rack)
B. Deadlift 400 lbs
C. Squat 400 lbs

After accomplishing that, you can think about cutting.

But, that is what I would do if I was in your situation, and I'm precisely clear about what I want for my body.  Are you ?

Hey guys hows it going.
Thanks for all the help in regards to my BF% and what you think i should do.

I have taken some relaxed shots to give you a better understanding of my weight and advice you think i should take on board.

My Photos

Any help is great
smile.gif

Cheers

I am wanting to bulk.
But i wanto be at a weight where its safe to bulk.
As you can see from those pictures the amount of fat i have around my mid section.
So i am happy to cut to a good size then clean bulk for 8 months or so whilst doing HST.

Would that be ok or ,
what would u suggest?

<div>
(projectaero @ Sep. 11 2006,23:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Would that be ok or ,
what would u suggest?</div>
I've already made my suggestion for a bulk diet.  As far as working out goes, I'd recommend &quot;standard&quot; HST on m,w, f.  HST

I'd do cardio on tues, thurs, sat, sun

measure waist weekly, if you start gaining too much fat you can boost cardio or cut your calories.  Cross that bridge when and if you come to it.

one quick question what i am curious too.
Is on HST when i finish my cycle in 6 weeks if i am close to the end of my cut by then and i reevaluate my RM's will i see an increase in what i could lift or ??

Also, Steve, I've never seen a formula for calories that takes age into consideration. Where did you find that please?
J
smile.gif

<div>
(Jazzer @ Sep. 12 2006,19:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, Steve, I've never seen a formula for calories that takes age into consideration. Where did you find that please?
J
smile.gif
</div>
I pulled it off t-nation.  It seems to be better at keeping muscle mass while I cut than other programs I've done.  

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783   (I don't do the carb cycling or carb and fat ratios though...just calories)

nar, i dont drink or smoke.
its my posture and junk food what did that to me.
I know it looks like a beer drinkers gut but it aint.

So guys,
I just wanna get this going good and feeling great.
I have started HST nearly finished second week, i feel fantastic.
In november i am doing a fitness course to become a personal trainer and gym instructor.

Where did you get the 23% body fat from, a bodyfat scale? A caliper test? Just wondering, since you dont look 23% bodyfat to me. I'm about 23-25% (Calipers done by an &quot;expert&quot; at my gym, also a bio-electric method), and I look fatter than you. Just my opinion. You don't look that fat to me, but you do look like you could use some muscle.

If I were you, I would do as others have said, go ahead and do a &quot;clean&quot; bulk, and take advantage of those beginners gains. As you get bigger, you will &quot;look&quot; leaner anyways, even if you dont lose bodyfat.

You might want to try to vary your caloric intake, by eating the bulk of your calories within 12 hours post workout, and skimping on calories the other 36 hours. (still maintain a slight caloric deficit). That seemed to work for me, and while I was not a beginner, I was taking advantage of Muscle Memory, so I was able to gain size and lose fat at the same time.

Back