Bill Starr's 5x5 program

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Mar. 24 2008,4:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Before reading the following article I would have agreed with you: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/67_08_Overhead_Lifting.pdf
Actually it's 3 or 4 short articles about OHP's and shoulders. I can sum up the articles in 1 sentence - OHPs damage your shoulders like squats damage your knees. It looks like once again the conventional wisdom that we had beaten into our heads for all these years is wrong.

Who remembers this one? Coach to profusely sweating high school athlete, &quot;Rinse your mouth out, but don't swallow the water. It will cause cramps. Here, take a couple of these salt tablets.&quot;</div>
Meaning what? That OHP can and should be done with more frequency?

<div>
(Philip @ Jun. 04 2008,8:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Meaning what? That OHP can and should be done with more frequency?</div>
yes, but note progressive load should prevent one from attempting 1RM's on a consistent basis.

low and slow like you're smoking ribs.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Mar. 20 2008,10:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am thinking about a strength cycle this time around using Bill Starr's 5x5. However I was thinking about modifying it slightly. I would rather improve my OHP than my press so I was going to switch the bench and OHP exercises in terms of how they are scheduled. I am not sure if this is a good idea. Bill could have had a good reason for doing OHP once a week, but I dont know. Also Bench will be replaced with weighted dips.

I was also thinking of adding two exercises, 3x5 ramping like others with the 3rd set being my 5RM.
1) Rotating: Pullups/Pendlay Rows/Weight Hypers
2) Rotating: Curls/Rotator Cuff work/Weighted Situps or crunches

The goal is to at least maintain my strength in those lifts. I am starting off HST style till 5s and progressing right into the 5x5 program.

Anything that seems counter productive please let me know. Thanks!</div>
What you are describing sounds a lot like the Stronglifts Advanced Routine.
There are three different versions that focus on different lifts, bench, press, row.
Take a look at it, it might be just what you are looking for.
Maintaining proper form will spare your shoulders from injury. The main thing to remember is keep your elbows in front of the bar. This keeps the shoulder in a more natural position and increases the power you can generate.
As far as adding to it, you are going to have to play that by ear. The volume is already high on any 5x5 routine, adding to it can quickly become too much. I say try it as is and then make adjustments if you feel you can or need to. It is better to start with too little than too much!

Back