bulking carbs

robefc

If we take 1g of protein to 1lb of body weight as the accepted amount of protein and that in order to bulk we should add mostly calories from carbs then....
how will this help build more muscle? If there's no point in increasing protein intake any further than presumably protein synthesis can't be increased. Carbs can't build muscle and can only be stored as fat so....? is it just a protein sparing effect?
I realise I'm probably missing something really simple but if so I'd be grateful for someone to put my mind at rest and if I'm not missing something simple then its a darn good question!

It is a good question. However, the reason why you need more calories in the form of carbs is hypertrophy requires energy. This is why extra calories are needed.

The simplicity of your answer leads me to believe it wasn't a good question!

But thanks, if its a matter of providing the energy neceesary for growth as opposed to just storing spare calories then that makes sense in my head (which is a very messed up place!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ June 27 2003,4:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I realise I'm probably missing something really simple
and carbs also help produce glucose......
Here's a good article at think muscle Lyle McDonald
and our FAQ
nutrition
I realise the importance of carbs for fuelling work outs etc, I assumed that they did this at maintenance levels too so I was trying to figured out what consuming more would do for bulking but my mind is at rest now! (see above).

Just having one of those moments... :D

Carbs for bulking are good.

Keeps glycogen up, which is great for good workouts.
Keeps recovery good
Can help immune system, which helps bulking in the long run
Tastes good
A source of a multitude of vits/mins/phytochemicals etc
Insulin is good for muscle growth/anticatabolic purposes
Insulin icnreases muscle amino acid uptake.
Very few people actually successfully bulk on a low carb diet
Protein sparing (and fat sparing too
sad.gif
)
How much you actually need goes off one of my other posts
but between ~150-300g/day or around 2-4g/kg is a good level. Lower for those who like low carbs and higher for those who like higher carbs. Or if you are really lucky and respond well to lower fat go up to 6+g/kg (or using anabolic agents)

Back