Caffeine

Hardrock

As I mentioned in this thread: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....;t=5500

I had been experiencing a weird fatigue problem that was being attributed to volume/overreaching. I had tried reducing volume i.e. number of sets and exercises with little improvement in the symptoms. Then, I ran across some information on the effect of stimulants on the adrenal glands and a light bulb went on in my feeble brain. I stopped taking the 300mg of NoDoz I usually take before my workouts, and what do you know- the fatigue has stopped!!!!! I had no clue this was the problem. Is this common- has anyone else experienced this phenomenon with caffeine/ephedrine/etc. ?!

I'm curious about this also. A lot of times I when I take caffeine before a workout (Usually in the form of a small cup of coffee) I seem a little more fatigued working out then when I don't. However that caffeine boost really helps me get goin' to the gym. I get on average 7 hours of sleep a night.

I believe the form of caffeine makes a difference in the effects. The NoDoz is caffeine anhydrous which is a purer, concentrated form. Although 300 mg is only equal to about 3 cups of coffee it's more potent. I have drunk a cup of coffee or tea before working out without the same effects.

I used Omega Sports' Power Jolt fairly often for a workout stim and it's got a healthy amount of caffeine in it and I don't feel fatigued afterward at all. I do find caffeine can make me drowsy if I haven't been getting adequate sleep to begin with. I think a lot of people use caffeine as a stim when they don't get enough sleep. Wrong approach in my opinion. You should be using it to try and go beyond what your normal energy reserves allow when you've already gotten enough sleep. And if you don't get enough sleep one night and don't have the energy the next day hit the gym, don't. Make up for it the following day, after you have slept well.

Basically all supplement use follows this line of reasoning for me. It's counterproductive to always use a supplement to compensate for some deficiency in diet or training (lack of sleep, inadequate protein intake, etc). They should always be used to enhance an already effective diet and training program.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Oct. 29 2005,4:34)]I love all forms of caffeine
I too love caffeine, but this fatigue thingy made me want to cry like a little gurl, cuz I couldn't work out enuff- waaaaaaaaaaah.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Oct. 29 2005,1:57)]I too love caffeine, but this fatigue thingy made me want to cry like a little gurl, cuz I couldn't work out enuff- waaaaaaaaaaah.
It does get you doesn't it? I'm the only person in my group of friends that looks forward to working out. For everyone else it's a chore. Me, I love it when I get to wake up early the next morning and hit the weights.

Back