Caloric Requirements for Strength Training

Tom Treutlein

Okay, now I know you need insane amounts of food for bodybuilding. Adding mass always takes a ton. What about to increase strength? I mean, obviously you'd need at least maintenance, but couldn't you eat basically around that, maybe a bit more, and gain strength just fine? After all, strength is more leverage and neural adaptions, right?

20xBW is a common recommendation for calories for bodybuilding. How about strength training? Assuming one isn't looking to add any extra size at all.

Attempting to estimate one's caloric requirements is wasted effort. No one can put a finger on what the body needs. Every minute of the day, caloric requirements are changing. Trying to base a diet off calories is going to lead to alot of confusion and pain.

You need to structure your diet around macronutrient quantities rather than calories. Before I can tell you what to do, you have to reply the following.

1. are you somebody that gains fat easily and can never manage to stay lean. In turn, you probably gain muscle with somewhat ease

or

2. are you somebody that no matter what you eat, how much you eat, you are always lean. In turn, you probably don't gain muscle at all.

Which one fits you? Describe yourself so I can help you further

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Nov. 19 2004,5:46)]How about strength training? Assuming one isn't looking to add any extra size at all.
Strength is predicted by several factors and even though increased CSA is one of them you can gain strength without a change in CSA. It's just a matter of degrees, naturally if you are looking for a lot of strength increses over a long time then proper nutrition is just as important there as it is in Hypertrophy.

Do you get fat from a high carbohydrate intake? I don't want to reccomened a diet that is going to get you fat

Nah, not really. Especially if I throw in my sprints and bag work (which I have again in the past month). I need all those carbs anyway. Even without all that activity, high carbs never seem to put fat on me.

Back