calories for hst cycle

chook

hay everyone. what do most do wrt cal intake for intire hst cycle?. With previous cycles i seemed to have started with too low carbs/cals and finished 15s depeleted/fatiged which effected gains in 10s, 5s. This cycle i started hi cals and kept them hi for intire cycle,,,,now i'm in 5s and the fat gain is accrueing too quick,,,,do most adjust cals down or add cardio :mad: between microcycles to adust for reduced work output?
thanks for any help
p.s sorry for having this here but it gets more traffic :)

Thanks fot the input blade. I've read that report, the weight gaining part is working :D . I'm trying to fine tune intake for intire cycle,,,,maybe reduce carbs as we finish 10s?...but...i do like eating though
tounge.gif
.......anyone else?
cheers

Depends on what you mean - lowering carbs and calories, or lowering carbs and compensating by upping protein and fat. The second might be better depending on your current macronutrients and whether you're ingesting excessive protein already.

blade, i mean lower cals via droping carbs.Protein and fat to stay the same, just less overall cals due to less carbs.Or just add extra work ie. cardio?... keep in mind that this is just as cycle progresses,as work output decreases. Right now i'm at 3800cals .460g carb.. 245g pro.. 100g fat...bodyweight 91.5kg/200lbs. thanks again.
cheers

245g protein is at the high end for a 200 pounder. Unless your 5% BF or on AAS that could be a bit of a waste.

If you are gaining too much fat you could drop calories across the board and reconfigure percentages as per Bryan's article. Depending on how much fat is gaining you could drop 200-400 cals. set protein at 1g per pound BW, and the rest in carbs/fat. It is not the carbs making you fatter it is calories overall. You want to keep the carbs relatively high to be more anabolic (at least 40%).

I think everyone should do a little cardio anyway. 2- 3xweek (one being a 12 min HIIT session) should not harm gains too much.

245g protein is at the high end for a 200 pounder. Unless your 5% BF or on AAS that could be a bit of a waste.
keeb, thanks for the wake up call. just starting to realise the hype on mega protein intake. I guess i'll adjust cals and rework ratios to suit. Your right about cals overall and fat gain.
[
It is not the carbs making you fatter it is calories overall. You want to keep the carbs relatively high to be more anabolic (at least 40%).
This is what i was getting at earlier,,is there a benefit to keeping calories higher and adding some moderate cardio (probably on off days) maybe nutrient partitioning? or should i quit eating so much
butbut.gif

If your problem is fat gain on the latter part of the cycle (confirm that this is actually fat gain by using caliper measurements), I think you should do like Keeb said and drop protein a little bit - to around 200g. That would bring you down almost 200kcals. Fat g looks good. Carbs can be varied according to days on or off, ingest your carbs in the morning and pre-/post-workout which should bring down carbs in your off days as well.

guys, thanks for your help so far . Blade, I suspect fat gain is in later part of cycle ,which is a calorie issue. :mad: This might sound like a basic question but... my p/w shake is usually 5pm, dinner 6pm, oats/ whey/efa's 8.30/9pm..all reasonable carb amounts. On off days i stay the same. Are you an advocating day to day cal cycling/zig zaging?, if so, is this is where i should look at first? thanks in advance
cheers

It is normal to accept a bit of fat gain to get the greatest amount of growth. a 2:1 muscle/fat ratio is good. It is hard to get exactly perfect calories to grow optimally and maintain BF.

Even so, you could calorie cycle day to day as Blade mentioned, making sure to get most calories around workouts and 12 hours after.

Or you could consider splitting your workout to two a days or 6 days a week using the same volume split over two workouts for better partitioning.

Or add in some high rep drop sets after your sets of 5s/Negs to burn up some additional cals. and get better glycogen storage.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or you could consider splitting your workout to two a days or 6 days a week using the same volume split over two workouts for better partitioning
keeb, yeah i'm doin that. (x2/day)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or add in some high rep drop sets after your sets of 5s/Negs to burn up some additional cals. and get better glycogen storage.
yep, doin that too,I've really been trying to milk this cycle :D
I'm on my last week of 5/negs, (doin fives). I am feeling kinda burntout now, maybe thats contributed to some fat gain. I'll lower cals a bit on off days........thanks again

Back