Calulating Cals, fat, protein and carbs

TiredRob

Guys,

Since recently deciding to make more of a concerted effort regarding my diet, I've been looking into just exactly how I should calculate my daily requirements for each of the following: Calories, Protein, Fat, Carbs.

I've tried to research what I can, and have collected together the info I think I need, but I'd like confirmation that my sums are correct, from those of you more familiar with this if possible. Here is the way I'm working it out at the moment. Please bear with me, I may be suffering from information overload somewhat, and fully expect to have at least some of this backwards!

Anyway, here is the way I'm thinking so far..

First, to assertain my daily maintenance calories, I used the info from Lyles eating for size article, so I do this

Multiply my Weight in kilograms x 24 (hours) = my basic metabolic rate (BMR) x my Activity Factor = my Daily Caloric Needs (for maintenance)

Activity Factors
Very active = 1.4 - 1.5 (Daily Intense exercise + construction work most of day)
Active = 1.3 ­ 1.4 (Daily exercise + work on feet most of day)
Light active = 1.1 - 1.2 (Regular Exercise 3 times/week + desk job or at home most of day)
Sedentary = 1 (No exercise + desk job or at home most of day)

Ok, that bit seems pretty straightforward. Now, I figure on the following;

In order to BULK, I'd increase maintenance calories by approximately 500 calories/day
In order to CUT, I'd decrease maintenance calories by approximately 500 calories/day

Reasonable so far ?

Ok, I'll go on to individual nutrients breakdown now, and here is where I probably screw it all up. I'm calculating my figures like this:

For protein (1gram protein = 4 Calories) my daily requirement = 0.8 to 1gram protein per pound of bodyweight, so to convert this to kilograms I'll multiply 2.2 * Bodyweight (kg), and this should tell me how many grams of protein I need each day. Now, if I multiply this grams/day value by 4 this will tell me the amount of calories per day coming from protein. Right ?

Moving on to Fats (1gram fat = 9 Calories) I believe the idea is to aim for approximately 30% of overall calories coming from fats, so my calculations here are as follows;

I'll take 30% of my overall daily caloric rate and allocate that for fat calories required. Then I'll divide this figure by 9 to give a daily value in grams. Hope this is still making sense..

Now, I'm assuming that the remainder of my calories can now be made up of carbs (1gram carbs= 4 Calories) so I'll subtract both the protein and fat calories from my overall daily total to give me a calorie figure to allocate for carbs. This can be divided by 4 to convert it to grams per day from carbs.

Phew. Right, that's the way I think it should work, but I'm far from certain here, and would much appreciate any comments from those in the know. If I can confirm that my workings are correct, then I plan to make a simple calculator up, so I can just input my weight and say whether I plan to bulk or cut, and it'll give me all the figures I need to work to. Then it should be just a simple matter of making small adjustments where necessary as I feel the need to.

If you got this far.... thanks for reading!

Rob.

Your math is good, and so is your logic. If you're happy with your assumptions/sources, you're ready to roll!

Thanks chaps.

I made up an excel worksheet based on the figures above.. I think it mostly works out ok, other than the fact that I get a higher minimum figure than max for the carbs sometimes! :D

Ah well, can't have it all ways I guess. Close enough me
tounge.gif

You can get it here if you're interested in taking a look. But remember... I aint no expert - So if it says you can live on 12 calories per day, then I'd double check with some-one who knows first!!

Rob.

Calorie calculator aint bad, but maybe a few hundred calories low. I suppose it's a matter of opinion. Nonetheless, good job. Nothing annoys me more than getting a dieting calorie 'quote' of 3000+.

Have you checked up www.fitday.com? Their calculator is rather US-centric, but it's very thorough, and you can keep an eating log and will tell you how you're doing. I've found it very helpful.

Nice stuff, Rob.

The calorie calculator is pretty much accurate based on the process Bryan lays out in his Eating For Size article.

From what I take from what others are writing, it seems that they are taking in even more cals than what Bryan/your process would recommend. Someone recommended 3000 cals for a 167-lb person; that's several hundred more than what I'd thought it would be.

I'm about 170lb, taking in about maintenance (2200 by my figures, and yours) - no wonder I'm losing a little weight! Actually, that's what I want for now.

A simple guideline for gaining mass is multiplying BW with 18-20kcal - which for a 167lbs lifter calculates to a range of 3000-3340kcal.

again, how on earth does one eat so much? i'm 165lbs, so i calculated i should eat around 2500kcal.. now, it seems i should aim for 3000.. but i have a hard time getting 2500 down.. any health meals that shouldnt make me full, worth about 1000-1500 kcal ?

oh, by the way. anyone know of a site with food recipies(easy to make food) where kcals and protein/fat/carbs for each meal is listed?

Back