CanEHdian: 6'2 160lbs to ?lbs

canehdian_guy

I have tried HST in the past and saw amazing gains for the first time in my life but I didn't finish the cycle. I will however be starting again on February 10 but this time at an actual gym. My friend who has trained 10 years to achieve respectable strength gains yet non-desirable size gains will also be starting the program on that day as well, I will occasionally post his progress.

We will be going with the "Simplify and Win" routine. I would highly appreciate input on my routine. Thanks. Here is my exact routine:

- Squats possible alternated with deadlifts
- Military press
-15 degree incline bench press or db bench press depending on my desired results alternated with dips
-chin ups
- abs

If any body parts are seriously lagging I plan to tweak my routine.

I just finished my first week! For my diet I've decided to do a version of intermittent fasting. I've never really been one to eat throughout the day probably averaging 1000-1500 cals a day. Currently I'm basically not worrying about my diet whatsoever until pre/post workout when I will consume about 2500 clean calories in 4 hours. I took some peoples advice and I am doing one compound exercise per muscle group, alternating the chosen exercises every other day ex. bench press/dips.

Here is a pic from right before I started my routine. I had just finished a 30 min run so I may have a bit of a pump in this pic: http://imgur.com/LncB8wS,K7cJfjD#0

I finished my 3rd workout last night and I took this picture this morning: http://imgur.com/LncB8wS,K7cJfjD#1 .

It's hard to tell a difference between the pics but I'm ecstatic about the results! The difference in person is really night and day especially in my chest region.

I can see the difference in your chest between the two pictures, well done!! Considering how lean you are, you will likely "see" results a lot faster than some of us with more fat. It's always motivating when you see changes happening!

Perfect platform to gain mass with your low BF. 300 cal daily surplus + training and you'll see results. Keep at it.

Thanks nativetroutbum. Believe it or not I actually had a lot less fat before my last bulk weighing in at 150 lbs, but I foolishly put on on 70 lbs in 3 months haha!! At least 30 lbs of that was fat and so now have tons of little stretch marks on my lower back and robust love handles. My abs were fortunately spared for the most part so now I've just got the extra skin there but little fat.

Thanks Tom. I've never done a full HST cycle and the muscle gains I saw before were crazy so I'm optimistic. It could have been because muscle grows exponentially faster while bulking, but I was being accused of using steroids on a somewhat regular basic lol.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys. Actually makes me look forward to finishing this cycle even more now!

I think youre training schedule looks great. Youre doing almost exactly the same as I am. I do calves too as thats usually the only "muscley" part of the leg one sees when wearing shorts! Its nice to read there are others using the IF protocols too. It´ll be interesting to see your progress.

On a side note: you went up 70lbs in three months. You said at least 30lbs of that was fat so roughly 40lbs was lean mass. Where has all that lean mass gone? Not trying to knock you either but did you lose your weight too quickly? Ive always cut too quickly, until now. Ive lost roughly 6kg(13-14lbs) in a month and I seem to be holding my lean mass this time. What are your goals now? Final weight/BF? etc..

Hahaha no prob summer hit and I stopped working out. I drank a lot this summer and ate out for greasy food most of the day so I really dont know how I able to shed 5-10lbs a week while not exercising. Before quitting working out before I was able to maintain my body weight eating half of the amount of calories as I was when I was losing so much. I really dont know what to make of it.

My current goal is to go for a nice slow bulk rather then foolishly eating 6500 calories a day. The mass seems to be coming in quick but I need to start counting my calories because I know my current diet is limiting my growth. Im not sure what my final weight goal is yet Im playing it by ear. Based off my size before I think a really lean 230lbs at about 7% bf would look the best on me as I was still a bit small before.

Last edited:
Lots has changed since my last update. I was dealing with a skin condition - eczema - that forced me to drastically change my diet so I had to put my bulk on hold. While I wasn't able to successfully deal with the condition, I did discover that food was not a huge trigger.

I lost an additional 10 lbs since I last checked in. Most of it was fat so I'm glad that I had to postpone the bulk. I'm currently eating around 3000-3500 on my off days, and around 4000-4500 and my on days. I started with 3000 calories but I was still losing a fair amount of weight.

Today will be my 5th workout! I am very happy with my results so far as I keep losing a bit of fat, while adding to my muscle mass. Now that I've upped the calories I should consistently 2-3 lbs of mass comprised of mostly muscle as long as I dont quit the routine and continue to bulk as I had before.

Here's my new starter pic after 3 days of training: http://i.imgur.com/J2dBS3w.png

Last edited:
Back