Cheerios vs. Oatmeal

TennisDude

As far as breakfast foods go, which is better to eat?

I am, of course, talking about the plain Cheerios. I think they taste amazing, and they don't seem bad for you at all, so I was wondering if I could use them in my diet as opposed to eating oatmeal. It seems to make it easier because it is like having a healthy treat everyday. However, if oatmeal would help me cut more efficiently, I think I'd suck it up and eat that.

I have my fingers crossed for Cherrios.
tounge.gif

Thanks,
TennisDude

I think it depends what you are looking to do...

Oats cannot be beaten for cutting as a carb. source IMO.

Cheerios are good for you, but they are also processed.

If you are cutting go for the oats!

Per 1 cup the differences are neglible except protein, Oatmeal has twice as much.

wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ July 23 2005,9
wow.gif
7)]Cheerios are good for you, but they are also processed.
That's the main reason I go for oats instead. but if you were to look in my pantry, there is a box of the plain cheerios that i bought for a lil change every once in a while.
But I do try and eat as much unprocessed stuff as possible versus eating processed stuff, but sometimes you can't help it.
But I do agree with you TennisDude, cheerios do taste really good right out of the box, where as i have to add stuff to my oats to make them better. I like to add about 2 tablespoons sugar and a 2 tablespoons butter
butbut.gif
. Then I wake up from that dream
happy.gif
, and put some crushed walnuts and cinnamon in them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ July 23 2005,9:16)]
wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
wow.gif
so what?
according to Clarance Bass (http://www.cbass.com)

less processed foods take more calories for digestion, and also provide a slower release of energy into the blood stream which keeps the insulin levels lower causing calories to be more converted into Glycogen in the muscles as opposed to fat stores.

This dude tries to stay clear of processed foods and g for the natural stuff

he ain't that big but he's ripped as hell

so I'd go with Oatmeal over Cheerios :)

BTW if there's scientific proof that Mr Bass isn't correct please let me know b/c I will be following this dudes diet principles once I'm satified with the bulk that HST could provide (if ever :D )

You will not notice one bit of difference if you choose not to eat processed carbs. They have calories just like any other carb.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ July 23 2005,12:25)]You will not notice one bit of difference if you choose not to eat processed carbs.  They have calories just like any other carb.
Processed food wont keep you full as long.

of course they have calories, was it ever said that they do not?

To each is his own.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ July 23 2005,9:16)]
wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
wow.gif
so what?
Oats keep me full MUCH longer.

Also cheerios are also rather high in sodium. (273 mg per 30 g)

May not seem like much but hey, every little bit helps.

I'm SURE cheerios could easily be used, but me personally i'd go oats for cutting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ July 23 2005,10:33)]Processed food wont keep you full as long.
of course they have calories, was it ever said that they do not?
To each is his own.
Of course I realize this... The point I was getting at was that even if they are processed, they have just as many calories per gram that does oatmeal. And, in the end, this is all that is going to matter anyways. Plus, if they are consumed along with protein and fat, digestion will be slowed too.

And of course eating Trix or the like would not be the best of ideas due to the high sugar content, especially if one is trying to cut. When you are bulking it wouldn't be so bad, though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ July 24 2005,12:30)]how about trix? cocoa puffs?  :D are those the deadly types?
Everybody run for your lives.....its CORN SYRUP!!!
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

I wouldn't touch that stuff. In fact I don't even eat white sugar.

You would be amazed at what strawberries, bananas, cinnamon, apples, berries, walnuts, etc. will do for whole oats.
thumbs-up.gif

how about trix? cocoa puffs? are those the deadly types?
Code:
 :D Yeah, they'll kill you with all the sugar.

Oats or cheerios? Well, I can't recall ever advising anybody to go eat cheerios, and there have been a few times I said just go eat oats... but since this is just one small meal, and you can always adjust your diet around it, well... go for Cheerios, TennisDude! No need having to sacrifice something you like for something else when the effect wouldn't be that significant (or at all).

Or you can just do as I do (if you are braindead like me :D ), just wake up in the morning, open a can of tuna and gulp it down with a few slices of bread.  :) 

-JV

Back