chin up ROM

lazyeyepsycho

just curious to what depth most people use on chins/pull ups

i used to think that full ROM was the way to go, until one of my co-workers said that once the scapula start to rotate out, most of the weight is taken by the joint capsule.

he started getting me to do chins and only lower till my elbows reached ear level, keeping my scapula back and down through out hte range of motion.....it was much much harder and the next day i was really sore in my lats rather than my teres major minor which is normally the only muscle that gets really sore after chins.

so...full ROM or almost full trying to keep scapula back and down?

To be honest I haven't got a clue in terms of the scapula etc but most of the advice I've had with respect to pulling movements involves doing partials as loading increases and loaded stretch...which doesn't necessarily point towards full range of motion but points to the importance of the stretched portion of the rep...which would be the opposite of what your friend is advising you.

The sensation you felt may have been due to metabolic stress...doing reps from half way to full contraction would emphasise this (I think!)

I should add I'm no expert but as no-one else has answered I thought I'd stick my two pence worth in and see if I could get the deabte started!

Cheers

Rob

My feeling is, and it may be wrong, that you felt the soreness because you were stopping your descent and holding yourself with your muscles as opposed to stopping when your joints stopped you. The problem with not going to full stretch is you don't put the muscle under load at full stretch, so you don't get the benefits of a loaded stretch. Would love to hear others' thoughts on this, but that's my take.

I agree with robefc. Not only is the stretch the part of the motion where the muscle is most susceptible to damage, but I seem to remember someone (Kate, I think) explaining that if the shoulder blades are not moving, you aren't doing much of anything for your back. Can't find that old thread, but I believe she said (with regards to a row, but same principle), when your shoulder blades stop moving, the repetition is over (as far as your back/lats are concerned).

Back