CLA dosage

Thanks Blade.

Unfortunately, I am having difficulty locating ONE reference that did measure increased muscle insulin resistance with CLA administration.

Here are a few titles of pubmed abstrats that report CLA is not that great ... These studies, unfortunately, have been done on obese folks. So, I don't know how much trust you cah have in them.

(1) Supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-dependent oxidative stress and elevated C-reactive protein: a potential link to fatty acid-induced insulin resistance.

(2) Treatment with dietary trans10cis12 conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-specific insulin resistance in obese men with the metabolic syndrome.

(3) Isomer-dependent metabolic effects of conjugated linoleic acid: insights from molecular markers sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c and LXRalpha.

[Talks about how CLA increases insulin resistance]

(4) Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers.

[No benefit effect from CLA]

(5) Effects of dietary fat and conjugated linoleic acid on plasma metabolite concentrations and metabolic responses to homeostatic signals in pigs.

[No improvement in insulin action]

(6) Short-term intake of conjugated linoleic Acid inhibits lipoprotein lipase and glucose metabolism but does not enhance lipolysis in mouse adipose tissue.

(7) Prolonged dietary treatment with conjugated linoleic acid stimulates porcine muscle peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma and glutamine-fructose aminotransferase gene expression in vivo.

[This one talks about increased FAT BETWEEN muscle cells as well. So, the results are not all positive].

Another impact of CLA that has not been mentioned is liver steosis. Basically, livers get HUGE on rats which are fed a great deal of CLA.

BTW, google search is useless on CLA. There are too many sites that promote CLA for marketing purposes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But then you see a multitude of posts asking the same questions over and over again

I think while the FAQ answers a ton, most of us just still like to jibba jabba.

Also the FAQ tends to let you make your own assumptions but many of us doubt our own ability to interpret the information in a way that the author or others might interpret it.

I don't even bother with CLA's right now, from reading the faq I recall CLA naturally residing in cheese, which I eat at least a little of daily. CLA in capsules seems expensive and I just dont see the point when Flax is so cheap and supposedly does the same thing.

EDIT: correction, beef and dairy. I looked for some cheap CLA and unless I cancel my premium channels I really can't afford it. Is it really worth the money? Any of you notice a difference when you started taking it vs when you weren't?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ Mar. 12 2003,6:27)]I wasn't directing my post at anyone in particular, I just remember someone saying after the FAQ section was up that "now no one will ask questions anymore". But then you see a multitude of posts asking the same questions over and over again - even to the point where you have three-four threads in succession in the same forum related to the same topic, so I was just suggesting that people do their homework first... :)
heh, well, i'd like very much to "do my homework". but i already have my share, being in school and all. i don't mind having to pore over some medical research every so often, but even if i do get the time and motivation to do so, i don't necessarily have the knowledge and expertise to interpret such material properly. i still generally rely on you guys who do this for a living or dedicated hobby/pastime to translate stuff into layman instructions: "do A, do B, but don't do C"
tounge.gif
whenever i spend more than an hour here in the forums (it's an enjoyable hour - don't get me wrong), it starts eating away at time for other things that i have at higher priority. everything vets like yourself contribute and offer is always appreciated, even though i suppose folks like me ought to show it more often.

anyway, what do you and/or bryan and/or other vets think about those studies which virtualcyber brought up?

taj --

I KNOW I had seen the particular study which showed increased muscle insulin resistance, but I cannot find it.

Unfortunately for me, as it pertains to this thread, only real evidence matters. That means, at present, my supporting evidence consists only of the cited references I cited. My references above show only this: CLA administration increased overall insulin resistance in obese people.

I think the increased overall insulin resistance has been explained by the following rationale: with the CLA administration, in obese people, fat cells become more insulin resistant, which overshadows increased insulin sensitivity in muscle.

This is clearly a possibility -- after all, there are references that indicates increased muscle insulin sensitivity upon CLA administration.

Back