Compound vs Isolation

Maximuscrates

I prefere Isolation exercises in my routine for the reason that a weaker muscle might keep me from working out a stronger muscle to its correct load.

An example is dips, My triceps might be too weak to get very many where my chest might not feel it at all, or vice versa.

So instead I do French press, and Barbell Press.

I am getting my current and first HST workout done in less than 40 minutes and covering most muscle groups. I am currently missing obliques, forearms, and rear delts. But im working front and side delts(it shows that i dont work rear). And I do work abs,but not the obliques.

Also, I finished my first week of HST, no change in weight and I eat more food than two people should eat. I am a little hungry now so I am going to go eat my second supper.

So, theres what I think, But I want to know what you experts think and a good explanation of why.

Thanks

<div>
(Maximuscrates @ Apr. 16 2006,20:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">An example is dips, My triceps might be too weak to get very many where my chest might not feel it at all, or vice versa.

So instead I do French press, and Barbell Press.</div>
I believe I understand your concerns, but I don't follow your logic.

If you think your triceps are going to fatigue before your chest during dips, why would you work them first with french presses and then do barbell presses for your chest?

Please explain your routine in more detail.

I am no expert but here are a few reasons why I do compound movements (but these are just my thoughts and are not based on any scientific study):

They allow you to exercise more muscles with fewer exercises - your time in the gym is used to greatest effect.

Usually a compound movement feels more natural and because several muscle groups are working together you are more likely to get improvements in co-ordination and balance, especially if free-weights are used.
Because the muscles are often working through their strongest range you can lift heavier poundages and therefore you are placing more stress and strain on the muscles than if you did an iso. Isos often have sticking points that limit the amount of weight you can use. Lifting heavier poundages is where hypertrophy is at!
smile.gif

Because compounds involve movement around several joints I tend to feel that less stress is placed on the individual joints because the exercise movement feels more natural than for an isolation movement.

I'm sure there are other even better reasons but that's my take on it.

Dips are one of the best compounds so just keep working on them. Your tris and pecs will thank you for your efforts. As you get better at them you will feel how the muscles are working together like a well oiled machine. I'm using over 100lbs added weight during 5s now and it feels fantastic (current bodyweight around 205lbs)! I can never believe it's going to be possible until I start.

If at the end of the 15s you haven't gained any weight you are still not eating enough! If you are eating very 'clean' then it is surprising how much you have to eat in order to have a surplus of calories needed for growth. You would need to furnish us with more info on your workout and diet if you need more help.

One last thing: if you are doing deadlifts in your routine your forearms will grow. Try to do any chins and rows without using straps. Compounds are great!
biggrin.gif

Lol is right on. If you have to, start doing negative dips. I wouldn't think anyone would really have to do that though. But the load should be higher than a french press.

Back