counting grams of protein

[xeno]Julios

I don't know much about fibre and roughage, but isn't fibre the stuff that helps keep your digestive tracts "well plumbed"? In that case, some stuff doesn't get digested into blood stream, but rather is used by the body for its material properties. If one were to eat a portion of bran flakes, wouldn't some of the bran be used to clean out the digestive system? Is some of that "stuff" considered protein on the listing on the box?

If so, then we'd need to take that into account, since we might well reach the desired level of protein grams per pound of bodyweight, but not all of it will be used for synthesis.

While fibre can increase fecal nitrogen output, the amount is variable and unimportant in the big picture.

Dont worry about it

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ May 17 2004,4:53)]I don't know much about fibre and roughage, but isn't fibre the stuff that helps keep your digestive tracts "well plumbed"? In that case, some stuff doesn't get digested into blood stream... Is some of that "stuff" considered protein on the listing on the box?
Soluble and insoluble fiber are not metabolized by the body, but on U.S. nutritional labels they are always categorized as Carbohydrates (never Protein). They contribute to total carbohydrates, and may also be broken into sub-items: dietary fiber (all fiber), soluble fiber and/or insoluble fiber.

thanks - so i can be sure that every gram of protein i count on my foodlists is digestible. For instance 2 slices of the bread i buy contains 9 grams of protein. I can include this figure in my total protein input right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bugpowder @ May 17 2004,4:26)]Soluble and insoluble fiber are not metabolized by the body, but on U.S. nutritional labels they are always categorized as Carbohydrates (never Protein). They contribute to total carbohydrates, and may also be broken into sub-items: dietary fiber (all fiber), soluble fiber and/or insoluble fiber.
Correct fiber's are carbs not protein, the protein in the bread comes from the milk products and egg products that are used if any. Plus wheat and other grains do contain small amounts of protein.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i buy contains 9 grams of protein. I can include this figure in my total protein input right?
ADd them into the total intake, the 1gm/lb ideal is based on a mixed diet, not just animal sourced (or complete) proteins.
While they may not be as highly rated as other proteisn, tehy still provide nitrogen into the body.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ May 17 2004,9:11)]thanks - so i can be sure that every gram of protein i count on my foodlists is digestible. For instance 2 slices of the bread i buy contains 9 grams of protein. I can include this figure in my total protein input right?
IIRC a lot of the work on protein and nitrogen retention (Lemon?) used TOTAL protein intake from all sources.

Back