Creatine making me sick!

ChuckGrill

I generally take about 1 teaspoon of creatine daily. Most of the time I've taken Phospogen HP from EAS, which I cycled 2 months on and 2 weeks off. Things were fine. Now I tried taking straight creatine along with my morning protein powder. Things were fine for awhile but now Im getting dizzy and nauseous after taking it. I haven't really cycled in awhile so I'm wondering if that could be it. Or is it just the creatine that's doing it? If it is then is there something else I could take instead? I hope it's not and that it's just that I haven't cycled it in quite awhile.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

ChuckGrill,
I have found if I take a tbl spoon of creatine and sip my pre WO shake (over 10 min) I'm fine.

IF I'm in a rush and slam the shake I also get nauseous, cramps and sometimes diarrhea. I know it takes longer than a few minutes to digest but it feels a little like food poisoning.

While you're waiting for the diarrhea to stop you can still do one arm curls just don't mess up the TP with DB.
laugh.gif

Maybe sipping will help you (I cycle creatine during SD)

I've never felt nauseous right after taking it but when i did take creatine, after cycling it for 2 weeks or so I got sick, like flu/strepe throat sick... This happened twice but I still can't believe that creatine did that, but creatine is the common denominator in both cases. Anyone experience something like i did? I got sick as a dog and stopped working out/using creatine for a week both times, then picked up where i left off minus the creatine and was fine.
Keith

Ok, today I didn't take creatine. I did however drink my pre-workout shake and felt fine. So I'm thinking I need to be off the creatine for a couple of weeks at least just to get it all out of my system. I did, however, remember that even taking creatine separately (i.e. PhosphogenHP) I still felt a little nausea afterwards. At least that passes quick enough though. Taking it with a protein drink it totally out. Just the thought of doing that now makes me sick.

I doubt it's creatine really causing the problem.

It might be the texture if you use a coarse powder, or it may be coincidence and then the mind playing tricks on you. . .

The mind is VERY prone to associating sickness with food consumed immediately before. It's a natural survival reflex that helped us survive the existence of poisonous plants. Get good and sick after eating something unusual, and that unusual thing will turn your stomache for a long time.

A friend got really hammered on red wine and had a massive hangover -- his first and worst. He can't touch red wine without feeling nausea almost immediately.

Personally, I got very sick one afternoon shortly after having a particularly oily brand of pita bread (lots of olive oil in the recipe.) I know I had the flu that was going around in school the day before, but just the smell of that brand of pita turned my stomache for years afterwards.

You may be right, edziu. Just the thought of taking it in white powder form (as opposed to the PhosphogenHP) makes me a little queasy. I am, however, going to take a couple of weeks off of it in order to drain my system of creatine and then start over. I seem to remember this happening before when taking powdered creatine (white). So maybe I should stick with the PhosphogenHP. That never made me sick.

I experienced probelms recently from the use of protein powder.

Almost on a daily basis i would get stomach cramps, swelling, flatulence and diarrhoea.

It concerned me so much i took trip to the docs just to insure there was no serious underlying probs. I also stopped using the protein powder just to see if it made any difference. That was over two weeks ago now and ive experienced no problems since.

Unfortuneately the loss of the protein from my diet affected my calorie intake and basically threw out my entire cycle.

In future i think i will trial a diet before beginning a cycle so as not to experience similiar probs again.

Depending on the brand name of whey protein, I've had at least somewhat similar circumstances. The HSN products haven't done that to me though, so it's best to stick with that. There were ones, however, that were so bad I thought I was going to throw up right after drinking it!
crazy.gif

The labrada products were good, too.

thedrivethruguy - yes, i experienced the same thing you did. Within a very short time of using it, i came down with mumps! who the heck gets mumps!? I think that some people's bodies are more sensitive than others, and that products like creatine can easily disrupt delicate systems. This is just my take on it - im not laying down any facts. I have tried many products, having similar simptoms, and this is the conlusion that i have reached.

I personally have had no side effects from creatine use. In fact, I'm not sure it's really had any effect, to tell the truth.

The only supp problem I've had is with protein. I first used GNC 100% whey & it does not agree with me - major "rectal chatter". In fact, the gas got so bad, my wife would ask "when are you gonna be done with that protein crap?" :mad:

Since switching to Optimum's whey, and Primer/Driver, I have had no problems. The only crap I get now is for buying too much stuff... ;)

I've stopped taking it for the past two weeks and plan on going back to it on Saturday. I'll go back to the phosphogenHP though and not the white powder form. I've had similar problems in the past using the plain white powder. The phosphogenHP didn't do that to me though. Guess my system is just too sensitive to it.

Chuck -
I had a client experience the same situation with creatine. She was precontest triaining and we were going to use creatine for a slight LBM boost. Tried it on two separate occasions. BOTH time she ended up with MASSIVE stomach cramping - the the point that she ended up in the hospital the second time. (Yes - she was getting plenty of water per day - over a gallon). The pain did not subside for 24 hours on either occasion. Completely doubled over.

She won her division though (lightweight @ 116 and 4.5% bodyfat) - despite 5 days in the hospital :D

She has tried creatine once since then (non contest training) and still had problems.... Tried a different brand each time. Can't find a doc or pharmacist that can explain why....
Proteus

Have you tried taking less at a time? Try taking 1/2 your dose of creatine and 1/2 after.

I also thought creatine was making me sick when I first started taking it, but eventually I learned that it was the 6 tsps. of table sugar I was putting in my pre-workout drink.

The 1/2 and 1/2 isn't a bad idea. I may try that. I had a thought while reading all of your responses again. As far as creatine goes (in white powder form), exactly how much are you supposed to take? A level tsp. or a heaping (or somewhat heaping) tsp.? I've been taking a somewhat heaping, or rounded, tsp. and I'm wondering if I've been taking too much into my system. I seem to remember reading on this forum somewhere that you should take a level tsp.

My HSN Creatine says one heaping teaspoon.
I too have had some upset with it, nothing major though. I found I had problems if I just put it in a small glass of water or juice and chugged it. If I put it in my breakfast cereal and milk and ate it that way I had no problem, or if I put it in my protien shake and sipped it slowly.

Back