creatine

mellon

i ordered some of HSN's creatine and after three days of taking it my thyroid glands had swelled up to the size of walnuts... I was drinking PLENTY of water, im not sure what the problem was. It this a common side effect of creatine? I went off the creatine and a day later my glands went back to normal.

I guess im just pissed off. every supp ive ever taken besides simple protein/a.a./vitamins has messed with my body.
owell..

Do you normally have any thyroid problems? It's not a common side effect that I've read or heard of. Thyroid hormone controls one of the enyzmes responsible for creatine production (AGAT) as well as creatine transport itself but those are the only connections that I can think of. As such, hyper and hypothyroidism can alter creatine metabolism, ergogenics and transport but I've can't find any reports of it working the other way (ie, creatine supplementation causing thyroid problems). I'm no med doctor, though, so maybe one of them would know more :)

Cylus is right, mellon, check with your doc about this, although I've never heard of this before either. But first, you have just one thyroid, although it has two "horns." Why do you think it's your thyroid? There are other things like lymph nodes in the same region that can (and do, at this time of year) swell and ebb daily. It takes an experienced clinician to detect changes in the tyroid on digital examination. Still, go see a doc just to be sure, though!
Jake

Back