Curing heartburn?

mikey_270

I suffer from chronic heartburn. Does anyone know of a medicine (OTC or prescribed) or home remedy that is not going to effect muscle gains?

I hate the idea of taking medicine everyday, so I would rather just take something when I have to if possible.

Any ideas? :confused:

Mikey

Pepcid worked for me. But since I lowered my carb intake I don't have it anymore. Mine was bad.

You might also look at your diet- are you eating/drinking any acid producers that might be irritants? Things like tea and coffee are culprits for some people.
Jake

My diet comes out to 427g of carbs, 187g protein, and 86g of fat which is 50/25/25.

DKM, how did your carb intake compare to that while you were having heartburn?

:confused:

Mikey

Honestly at that point in my life I wasn't that health conscience. I was extremely overweight and ate nothing but crap ala cart. I would imagine much higher, probably in the 600 to 700 grams per day, all junk.

I am currently maintaining about 150 to 200 per day. Usually right at 170 grams.

Haven't had heartburn for about 1.8 years now, except once I think.

Mikey-
I can't tell from your macronutrients whether you're eating irritants, but if you're eating processed foods, these might contribute. Personally, I'd recommend that you see a doc- if you're having so much trouble with heartburn, it could be an indication of something more serious (and fixable), like a hiatal hernia or gastric reflux disease. I'ts work a quick visit to the doc to get it looked into!
Jake

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake @ July 19 2004,11:21)]I'ts work a quick visit to the doc to get it looked into!
Jake
Great suggestion Jake
worship.gif

I used to have heartburn really bad, and I still get it sometimes, but not everyday now, and I usually know what casued it (beer), but only when I drink a couple in the middle of the day and stop, by the night I will have heartburn. Anyway what I did to stop the everyday occurence was cut out all sodas (no coke, dp, sprite) nothing. It cut my heartburn down about 80%. The main things that give me heartburn now besides what I said above are:
chocolate, bannanas, watermelon, cucumber, and tea.
Best remedy is pepcid complete, it works instantly like a tums, but then last 24 hours, or usually until I eat one of the above mentioned items.

I have GERD and I take Prilosec OTC when needed. It does not work right away, but it works longer.

Back