Cutting during SD

Buzz

I'm just about ready to start my first SD and was wondering if this was a good time to try and reduce body fat? My current BF is about 17.5% and reading various posts it seems 15% is a good target level and one where you can consider bulking up. My midterm objective is to put on 10 lbs of muscle.
Since my muscles are in less immediate need of nutrients when they are not being worked, during SD, I can use this time for increased cardio and calorie restriction. A bit before my next cycle I could eat more aggresively with the intent of adding lean muscle mass to hopefully a leaner me.
Your comments are appreciated.
Buzz

Buzz, During SD, you effectively remove the stimulus that signals your body to build muscle. This makes muscle "unnecessary" to your body. If you cut calories too much with no reason for your body to keep the muscle, it will use that metabolically expensive tissue for energy and preserve its long term energy supply (fat).

So, I would say that SD is not the time to cut calories. The best time to do this is during the heaviest part of the cycle. During the 5s and negs (if done). During this time your body uses the protein you take in to repair the damage caused by training. This will force the body to use its fat stores for evergy given that an excess of carbsare not present. The 15s and 10s will increase your energy expenditiure, so eating at or just below maintenance should also allow for some fat loss there too. I ususally use SD to take a break from harsh dieting and eat at or just below maintenance while doing little to no exercise.

happy.gif

Thanks Steve. What you say makes alot of sense. I guess I can use a few days of Sd to try and improve a stale golf game.

Back