Cycle #11 - HST for Upper Body & 5 x5 for Legs

colby2152

My original ideas were to make the HST portion into a dual-factor HST version, but I like the constraints of constant volume linear progression much better. I want to do 5 x 5 for legs because my legs are already big as it is. For instance, my muscular thighs force me to wear pant sizes 4 inches greater than my waist.

I will start this routine on the 1st of August, so I'm posting now in order to get some reviews and critiques.

Frequency = 4-6x/week
Approximate End Date = September 29th, 2007

HST Mesocycles = One week of 15's, Two weeks of 10's, Two weeks of 5's, and Three weeks of post 5's

Diet will follow the ULW assumptions from my Optimizing Your Caloric Intake thread. This isn't for certain though, as I am interested in e^pi's cut to slow bulk plan.

HST Cycle #11 w/5 x 5 addition WO schedule
HIT Warmup
DB Side Bends
Seated Calf Raises

5 x 5 Workout for Odd Weeks
Deadlifts
Back Squats

5 x 5 Workout for Even Weeks
Romanian Deadlifts
Back Squats

HST Workout A
Push Press
Bench Press

HST Workout A
Chins
DB Bent Over Row

HIT Exhaustion
Reverse Cuban Presses
Farmer's Walk

Progression: During the 15's, I will do the first HST WO at 70% of my 15RM, the second at 90%, and the last WO at 100% w/an extra set pushing my 15RM.

During the 10's and 5's, I will do a similar set up, but split up like this for the 6 WO's:
1, 2: 70%
3, 4: 90%
5: 100%
6: Push my 10/5RM to whatever it may be

The ultimate goal is to increase my strength across the board while cutting fat and keeping LBM constant. With the way my current cycle is ending, I think a goal of 11% bodyfat can be achieved. If I enter into a slow bulk near the end, then that figure may have to change to 12%.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Colby

are you gonna do 5x5 for the legs 3x a week or less?

I love the 5x5 leg rotation. Great idea, colby!

In general, I like everything about the setup - but I do have a question. For your Monday alternating exercise selection, what are you going to put there (if anything) on HEAVY 5x5 days?

<div>
(duramax @ Jul. 18 2007,15:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">are you gonna do 5x5 for the legs 3x a week or less?</div>
The frequency for HST and 5 x 5 will be the same.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I love the 5x5 leg rotation. Great idea, colby!

In general, I like everything about the setup - but I do have a question. For your Monday alternating exercise selection, what are you going to put there (if anything) on HEAVY 5x5 days?</div>

On the heavy Mondays, my HST workout will consist of the usual Bench Press, Chins, Push Press, and DB Bent Over Row. The extra exercise will be rack pulls. All of these exercises should work fine with any variation of squats/deadlifts.

As I always used to say: &quot;After all, it is a workout!&quot;

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 18 2007,21:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just curious, how many sets per exercise on the HST portion?</div>
If I was doing dual-factor, than I would have a constrained amount of volume, but the load would be unknown ahead of time.

Instead, I am doing what I normally do within a cycle, and let the volume flow as I go.

If I could do 6 sets of 15 w/o hitting failure, and it was my last exercise that would use that certain muscle group, then I would do it.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 19 2007,07:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Instead, I am doing what I normally do within a cycle, and let the volume flow as I go.

If I could do 6 sets of 15 w/o hitting failure, and it was my last exercise that would use that certain muscle group, then I would do it.</div>
Colby -

Could you explain that a bit more? Volume-wise, if you are early on in your workout, what do you use as an indicator to let you know that you need to move on to another exercise? Is there some set minimum that you ascribe to, or so you honestly just determine volume dynamically, exercise by exercise, being mindful of what is to come later on in the workout?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Could you explain that a bit more? Volume-wise, if you are early on in your workout, what do you use as an indicator to let you know that you need to move on to another exercise? Is there some set minimum that you ascribe to, or so you honestly just determine volume dynamically, exercise by exercise, being mindful of what is to come later on in the workout? </div>

My treatment of volume is indeed dynamic as it can not only change within a mesocycle, but within an individual workout. I simply listen to my body and do as much as I can without hitting failure. HST's preset RM's, that are figured out before hand, will let this be possible. I am usually mindful of my back and chest which will get two exercises a piece.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 19 2007,13:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My treatment of volume is indeed dynamic as it can not only change within a mesocycle, but within an individual workout. I simply listen to my body and do as much as I can without hitting failure. HST's preset RM's, that are figured out before hand, will let this be possible. I am usually mindful of my back and chest which will get two exercises a piece.</div>
Very interesting concept! I love the idea! I'll have to borrow this for next cycle! I'd assume that this kind of setup allows for wicked gains, more so than static volume, with the volume being dynamic.

I agree.  Certainly only someone with a good bit of experience could pull it off... knowing their own limitations to the full extent.  I will certainly be interested in watching this log when you get into it... not that the current caveman one hasn't been interesting as well  
wink.gif

I may lower the volume of my WO's and increase the WO frequency by doing HST and 5x5 on separate days for a total of 6 days/week. Yesterday's deads/squats WO was exhausting!

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 26 2007,08:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yesterday's deads/squats WO was exhausting!</div>
Yup, though I lift significantly less weight than you (about half as much...), I've learned the hard way that deads and squats in the same workout can be exhausting.

On the other hand, when I was using an am/pm split, and taking a break of four to six hours between workouts, I found I could do my squats in the morning and my deads in the evening, and still function almost like a normal human being.

I simplified my HST WO a bit by taking out the High Pulls / Rack Pulls / Hang Jump Shrug alternation.

Hopefully, I will win.

Workout - 8/7/07 - First WO of Cycle #11

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 60 - 15, 80 - 10
Standing Calf Raises: 60's - 15, 80's - 10

5x5 Workout:
Romanian Deadlift: 135 - 5, 185 - 5, 205 - 5, 225 - 5, 275 - 3, 205 - 8
Back Squat: 45 - WU, 135 - 5, 155 - 5, 175 - 3

HST Workout:
Bench Press: WU - 15, 95 - 15 (3 sets)
Chins: BW-160 - 15 (2 sets)
One Arm DB Bent-Over Rows: 60 - 15 (2 sets)

HIT Exhaustion:
Reverse Curl Cuban Press: 25 - 15, 35 - 10, 45 - 5

Comments:
I did the Squats at the tail end of my WO as I had to wait for the cage. Romanians were a bit tough for that 3 rep set, but I'm chalking that one up to the SD. I was just practicing 5x5 / testing my RM's with the Squats. I lifted for over an hour and got a great WO.
laugh.gif

I also skipped the Push Press as I forgot to check out how to do the exercise before I left for the gym.

Workout - 8/10/07

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 50 - 15, 70 - 10, 90 - 5
Seated Calf Raises: 45 - 15, 90 - 10, 135 - 5

5x5 Workout:
Romanian Deadlift: 185 - 5, 205 - 5, 225 - 5, 250 - 5, 275 - 5
Back Squat: 45 - WU, 105 - 5, 115 - 5, 125 - 5 (2 sets)

HST Workout:
Bench Press: WU - 15, 125 - 15 (2 sets)
Chins: BW-135 - 15, 10
One Arm DB Bent-Over Rows: 45 - 15 (2 sets)

HIT Exhaustion:
Farmer's Walk: 35's - 100 paces (2x)

Comments:
I keep forgetting to check on how to do the Push Press. Workout was fantastic. I warmed up with an elliptical. I never used one of those before. They work great since my shoes are shot.

Workout A - 8/13/07

HIT Warmup:
Seated Calf Raises: 50 - 15, 100 - 10, 150 - 5

5x5 Workout:
Romanian Deadlift: 185 - 5, 205 - 5, 225 - 5, 225 - 5

HST Workout:
Bench Press: WU - 15, 135 - 15, 145 - 12
Push Press: WU - 15, 45 - 15 (2 sets)

Comments:
I have decided to take some advice regarding volume that I have previously disagreed with. I am splitting my WO so I can do the following:

1) increase the focus on RM/PR's
2) increase frequency
3) add in cardio in the near future

All of those reasons combined will help burn more calories more frequently.

The Push Press is one hell of an exercise, and I definitely underestimated it. I couldn't do a set of 15's for RCCP's! Whew...

The new WO regiment has been edited and updated in the OP.

Workout B - 8/15/07

HIT Warmup:

5x5 Workout:
Back Squats: 105 - 5, 115 - 5, 125 - 5, 135 - 5, 155 - 3, 125 - 8

HST Workout:
Bench Press: PR: 145 - 15
Chins: BW-120 - 15 (2 sets)
One Arm DB Bent Over Row: 45 - 15

HIT Exhaustion:
Farmer's Walk: 40 - 100 paces (twice)

Comments:
The split is working out nicely, but I made a mistake with my exercise selection in the HST portion. Two back exercises (chins/rows) in one day? I'll switch one of them with bench press.

I wasn't supposed to do bench press today, but I wanted to hit that PR that I missed by three reps the other day. I'm getting excited for the 5's, but those will not come until September!

Workout A - 8/21/07

HIT Warmup:

5x5 Workout:
Deadlift: WU, 135 - 5, 145 - 5, 165 - 5

HST Workout:
Bench Press: WU - 15, 115 - 10 (2 sets)
DB Bent Over Row: 50 - 10 (2 sets)

HIT Exhaustion:

Comments:
I stopped my 5x5 WO of deads due to a mid-rep shart. I had diarrhea earlier today... grr...

Back