Dan, any Max-stim updates?

bigbri

Hey Dan, just wondering if you have got any max stim updates or new findings? Also how is your training going?
Brian.

Also curious about these new Max-Stim findings you've mentioned
rock.gif

<div>
(bigbri @ Apr. 12 2009,6:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Dan, just wondering if you have got any max stim updates or new findings?  Also how is your training going?
Brian.</div>
We'll take that as a no than?

I'd love to hear about any max-stim updates.

I'm still using Max-Stim personally and getting very good results....works better for me than any other style.

I recently advised one of my female clients to use Max-stim. So her boyfriend decided to try it also. Her boyfriend is Steve Maxwell http://www.maxwellsc.com/
Bjj black belt, Kettlebell instructor, author and sprorts conditioning coach. Maxwell and I ate dinner together in April and we had an in-depth discussion about the Max-stim protocol. He was very pleased to find something that increased his strength levels especially after training over thirty years. Steve's report on MaxStim appears below:

I placed 5 people on MaxStim protocol.

I saw the biggest results with the Chin-Up.
One, a middle-aged guy (mid 50's) (John) went from 4 reps to 12 reps. Another (mid 30's) (Chris) could get 5 reps. He went up to 15 reps One woman (T) averaged 3-4 reps and now gets 6. Tommy went from 7 reps to 12-13 reps

I see the Chin-Up as a de facto body composition machine and the ultimate upper body strength-to-weight ratio test, ie.,you are greatly penalized for carrying any excess body fat and greatly rewarded for extra upper body muscle mass and low body fat levels.

It's impossible to pull your body weight up without greatly improved upper body composition changes.

Everyone who followed the MaxStim protocol significantly increased upper body strength-to-weight pulling ability and reported feeling &quot;energized&quot;, &quot;energetic&quot;, and overall &quot;good&quot; from their workouts.

Other exercises performed on the MaxStim protocol were:

Military Press
Dip
Deadlift--both Sumo and regular
Dbl KB Front Squat
In their weekly training logs, everyone reported significant strength increases in all exercises.
The exercise I was most interested in and therefore, I most closely monitored, was Chin-Up ability, because everyone in this particular group was Pull-Up challenged.

I was unable to produce results in one additional individual but I chalk that up to a case of overtraining, as he was on a very high-volume program over 9 months or so in prep for a 2-week strength-endurance test.

Because I couldn't monitor each individual's form, particularly the weight-training exercises, the Pull-Up data is most reliable because after close questioning, I was satisfied everyone was going from dead-hang to throat-over-the-bar and I'm confident MaxStim increases pulling strength-to-weight ratio in the upper body.

There were 3 additional people reporting positive results with MaxStim as far as feeling &quot;good&quot; and improved body composition, but because they don't routinely turn in training logs and rep counts, I can only go with their subjective comments.

thanks,
Coach Hale

I have personally had great results with MS and most of my clients have also reported benefits. I think I have had only 1-2 clients that didn't seem to reap the rewards and they really didn't follow the protocol as was suggested.

thanks,
Coach Hale

Hey Coach Hale, do you follow a 3 or 2 x per week schedule? Do you keep the number of exersises to a minimum - 2 pull 2 push 1 legs? I think my last cycle may have consisted of too many exercises for 3 x per week schedule as I didn't progress at all hypertrophy wise. I am 41 and maybe I wasn't recovering. Although I still felt quite fresh throughout the cycle with a little joint pain at the heavy end.

Cheers, Brian

Brian, just my 2¢: how many exercises were you doing and how was your calorie intake for your last cycle? If you were intending to bulk and you weren't gaining weight over the cycle then you weren't taking in enough cals (I'm assuming here that your bf levels are &lt;15% and you are not aiming for body recomposition).

It takes a good deal of discipline to be consistent with your nutrition and to really have a handle on it, whether you are cutting or bulking; once you are past newb gains, the results from your training depend on it. It is much easier to maintain. Apologies if this is old news.
cool.gif

Hey lol, thanks for the reply. In my last cycle I was doing about 8 exercises A &amp; B splits 3 x wk. I am thinking of halving that the next cycle. I do eat quite well and often over indulge and have a 22% bf level. I'm really trying to focus on max size at the moment. At present I am doing a cycle of the Myo reps program. I managed to get a translated version of the program. I can post the link if your interested.

<div>
(bigbri @ Jun. 17 2009,5:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> At present I am doing a cycle of the Myo reps program.</div>
Borge and I go way back, so I'm interested in how Myoreps are working for you?

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Jun. 17 2009,12:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(bigbri @ Jun. 17 2009,5:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> At present I am doing a cycle of the Myo reps program.</div>
Borge and I go way back, so I'm interested in how Myoreps are working for you?</div>
Hey Dan, yeh its not going too bad, although it does get a little fatiging compared to max stim.  Borge does mention that he has had many discussions with you and that you and Maxstim helped inspire Myoreps.  I have taken your advice and stuck to 2xpulling 2xpushing and 1xlegs exercises 3x wk.  Im thinking of maybe tweaking the Myoreps with Max stim.  Do the activation set and then M time to 20 or 25 reps in clusters of 2 and 1 reps to reduce the fatigue.  Also, and I would like your opinion on this, when reaching my 5rep max when things get a little heavy and my joints start to scream, of  switching to a Heavy/Light/Medium schedule.  The H/L/M is a system Casey Butt really believes in.
Mon-5rep activation + mtime cluster to 15 (Heavy)
Wed-15rep activation + mtime cluster 25 (Med)
Frid-10rep activation + mtime cluster 20 (Light)
Anyway I'd really like to know what you think.

Thanks and regards
Brian

<div>
(bigbri @ Jun. 19 2009,5:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, and I would like your opinion on this, when reaching my 5rep max when things get a little heavy and my joints start to scream, of  switching to a Heavy/Light/Medium schedule.  The H/L/M is a system Casey Butt really believes in.
Mon-5rep activation + mtime cluster to 15 (Heavy)
Wed-15rep activation + mtime cluster 25 (Med)
Frid-10rep activation + mtime cluster 20 (Light)
Anyway I'd really like to know what you think.

Thanks and regards
Brian</div>
I don't see a problem with that. It's beginning to look more and more like activation and therefore time under peak tension is a key. So as long as you are getting full recruitment and then do enough reps to maintain full recruitment for enough time, all should be good.

I read some Myoreps stuff. Looks interesting. Dan, am I right in thinking that like you he examines the pathways and attempts to build a system around capitalizing on the pathways mechanics?

<div>
(bigbri @ Jun. 17 2009,10:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">... At present I am doing a cycle of the Myo reps program. I managed to get a translated version of the program.  I can post the link if your interested.</div>
Hey BigBri, yes please, I'm really interested in Blade's Myo Reps.

Assuming progressive loading is still an important part of the Myo Reps program, were you able to progress loads last cycle? If you are just spinning your wheels WRT loading then hypertrophy is unlikely to be taking place and you'll need to figure out what's up: either you are not getting a strong enough PS response from training or you aren't providing your body with enough building blocks for growth. Sometimes, gains don't show their presence until a following cycle and when fatigue levels have dropped.

Personally, I find that keeping things really simple (ie. as few as two to three main exercises per session with maybe a sprinkling of accessory work) and making sure I get enough work done for my main compounds elicits the best results in the long-term. I know how frustrating it is to spin wheels: right now I can't push hard in my key lifts (especially deads) due to injury. However, it's still possible to make some progress in lifts that avoid the injured area and, at the end of the day, at least I know my body is getting some decent exercise which is always a good thing for a non-spring chicken (I'm now 44!).

One thing you could try is to focus on one key lift each cycle (or maybe one lift per session - a la Wendler's 5/3/1) and try to reach a new lifting target. It's much easier to focus all your energies in one direction and may help reduce overall fatigue levels so that you get to see some positive progress.

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Jun. 26 2009,10:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I read some Myoreps stuff.  Looks interesting.  Dan, am I right in thinking that like you he examines the pathways and attempts to build a system around capitalizing on the pathways mechanics?</div>
Not sure, I have never read it all since it's final release. I know it used MS as a model with some Borge tweaks.

But Borge is sharp so if he did use the signalling cascades then all the better.

Back