Deadlifting rep scheme

supergaijin

Hi all- coming to the end of my first real cycle of HST and am loving the effects. My routine has been Squat, Bench, Partial SLDL, Chins, Calf work, 1 Arm Row, Arnie press, Skullcrushers and Bicep curl.

Halfway through the 5's I stopped the SLDL as my lower back was not recovering, and I was getting sore during the day if I sat at my desk for too long.

My legs have grown by leaps and bounds, my bench has improved a great deal and I have gained 6kg over the winter (albeit with a little insulation around the waist).

Am thinking about my next cycle. Even though I have had real success with the squat, I'm concerned that an injury could be on the horizon as my gym has nothing to squat with besides a Smith Machine. I've had bad knees from a sport injury when I was 15 or so and so my back I guess compensates more than it should- from what I've read about squatting on a Smith Machine- you're not in a very natural groove for lifting, and either you stand too far forward and risk your back, or stand too far back and your knees are at risk.

At any rate, I'm going to substitute the squat and SLDL with the deadlift and leg press.

I did a little bit of deadlifting before starting HST and I'm pretty sure of the form in my head. Unfortunately, at my gym there is nobody who deadlifts so all my experience comes from the internet and reading. Years of rowing has installed in me what I think is good technique as far as timing goes- ie. legs and back working together etc. however it's all just theory in some ways as I don't have anyone to critique my technique. (I belong to a Health Gym in rural Japan- the instructors from what I've seen give pretty bad instruction in technique and exercise selection.

OK- so this brings me to the crux of my post. I'm concerned about the final 5's in the deadlift as it'll start to get pretty heavy (relative to me) and although I concentrate on deadlifting safely- I'm still not 100% sure whether my technique IS safe.

Instead I'm considering doing a hybrid HST rep scheme of 1 set of 20 reps, 1x 15 and 2 x 10 reps. And then do my other exercises using the regular 15, 10, 5 reps scheme.

Can anyone offer an opinion on doing HST with the 20, 15, 10 rep format. Are my 'fears' unfounded?

Cheers

Incidentally my new workout will look something like Deadlift, Incline bench, Incline Shrug, Leg Press, Chins, Calf work, 1 Arm Row, Arnies, Tri Pushdown, and Bicep curls.

Having done 20 rep deads myself, I can assure you will get a nice pump in your back and your heart will leap out your chest as you approach your max. Seriously, doing 20, 15, and 10 rep schemes is fine, especially if trying to be as safe as possible. If your technique worries you, here is a small tip to help avoid undue stress to your lower back: going against conventional wisdom, do not return the weight back to the floor slowly after each rep, take 1 second at the most. Also, reset your grip each rep, meaning set the weight down completely and mentally prepare your self for each rep, this will ensure fatigue does not lead to sloppy form. I have gotten really sore from deads, but yet to get injured and I feel these two things have helped that. Also, I see some guys do a lot of back extensions to warm-up their lumbar before deads. DON'T prefatigue your lower back before doing such a demanding exercise, use light weight deads to get ready for your working sets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ April 14 2005,6:46)] Also, reset your grip each rep, meaning set the weight down completely and mentally prepare your self for each rep, this will ensure fatigue does not lead to sloppy form.  

Cheers. Do you actually stand up after each rep? Or briefly let go of the bar while still crouched.

Back