Defeeding

Claudio

We all know the reasons for refeeding but could there be a case for defeeding when bulking?

Obviously, this wouldn't be to lower leptin levels but could it assist in keeping bodyfat gains on a diet to a minimum? Or could this principle negatively affect gains.

Basically, is there any science supporting defeeding during a bulk?

The ABCDE concept is pretty good, except that the caloric recommendations are too low and too high respectively. A more moderate approach of maybe 10-20% deficit and 20-30% hypercaloric is better.

Lyle has covered the concept of defeeding on mfw once, it wasnt in terms of keeping fat to a minimum. It was in concept that since high leptin increases metabolism, the potential of a short period of defeeding (lowered calories) would allow leptin to become low enough to reduce metablosm and potentially make gains easier.
But you would need 5-10 days to see any real decent reduction in leptin.

"Defeeding" can also be a pleasant break. I've been bulking for a few weeks now, for the first time, and I'm tired of eating all this food. It would be a welcome relief to take a day or two off. I wouldn't be scrounding for food every few hours, and my digestive system could relax a little.

E

Back