Determining calorie requirement and nutrient composition

lanette

(Please take your time to read and leave some comments)

Hi, my current body weight is 57kg and fat percentage is approximately 12%. I have a low to moderate activity level.

I've found out my calorie requirement for body building using calculators from two websites.

The first result is 3068 kcal from an article written by John Berardi on http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi41.htm, this value is calculated by:

1. BMR = 1604 kcal
  2. activity level = 962 kcal
  3. exercise (in this case, 1 hour HST) = 342kcal
  4. thermic effect of food (protein only, 1gram per body pound, for my case 128gram) = 160 kcal
These are calorie needed for workout day, but since he said that if we eat this amount everyday (include non-workout day), there is an extra energy of approximately 3000 kcal (per week) for growth, in other words, extra energy from non-workout days is for growth.

The second result is 2835 kcal from http://www.besthealth.com/besthealth/wellness/nutrition_calc.htm, it is based on several factors:

1. weight = 57kg
  2. sex = male
  3. age = 19
  4. goal = gain weight
  5. activity level = intermediate
It says that 1lbs of muscle need 2500 kcal, and with this calorie I will gain 1lbs muscle per week. It doesn't take into account of the type and duration of exercise. However, it does tell me about the nutrition composition per day:

• carb - 425g
  • protein - 71g
  • fat - 95g
The biggest difference of the two calculator is the first one consider exercise while the second one doesn't.
Now my question is:
Are they valid?
Does nutrition composition matters? Or only the protein amount matters?
Are they applicable for HSN?

There is also an article by John Berardi about the science of Nutrient Timing, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi54.htm. It basically talks about during the workout day, there are four different phase - energy, anabolic, growth and "rest of the day" phase.

• Energy phase is pre-workout carb and protein drink (protein:carb = 1:2)
  • Anabolic phase is post-workout carb and protein drink (protein:carb = 1:2)
  • Growth phase (6 hours after workout) is two carb and protein meals (protein:carb = 1:1 for both meals)
  • "Rest of the day phase" (normal physiology period) is 3 meals consist of either protein and fats with veggies or protein and carbs with some EFAs. The amount is determined by goal.
Is it valid and applicable for HSN?
If yes, what should be the nutrition composition for the rest of the day and what is about the amount for each goal?
What is the best energy and nutrition split for every meal for HSN? And what about the timing?

If there is already reference available for these, please post the links

Thanks for your time information;)

Last edited:
Hey lanette!

I literally follow the principles proposed by Berardi and got very good results in traditional routines. Now I'm starting my first HST cycle and continue using the same principles.

"If yes, what should be the nutrition composition for the rest of the day and what is about the amount for each goal?"

Depending on the goal (to gain mass or lose fat) you choose the most appropriate combination of food:
loose fat: protein and fats with veggies
mass gain: protein and carbs with some EFAs

Last edited:
Hey Schopenhauer,
Depending on the goal (to gain mass or lose fat) you choose the most appropriate combination of food:
loose fat: protein and fats with veggies
mass gain: protein and carbs with some EFAs
Why are we taking fats in order to lose it? Isn't it we are going to avoid it?
Now I'm starting my first HST cycle and continue using the same principles.
Man, I still haven't started my first HST routine.. because I'm still doubt about HSN in getting maximum effect from HST. I wonder what is the different between HSN and the ordinary one, and what does it matter.

Man, I still haven't started my first HST routine.. because I'm still doubt about HSN in getting maximum effect from HST. I wonder what is the different between HSN and the ordinary one, and what does it matter.
HSN is just like any other nutrition, don't beat yourself over it. The first and most important bit is to eat more calories then you use. So if your maintenance calories is 2800 you should be eating 3000-3500 calories to bulk. Basically eat more then your maintenance. If you eat a little more you will bulk slower but will gain less fat in the process, if you eat a lot more calories then your maintenance you'll bulk faster (gain more muscles) but you'll also gain more fat in the process. If you freak out over partitioning, timing, ketogenic, insulin, bcaa or whatever and not start lifting then you are wasting precious time. Eat protein, eat carbs, eat good fats (nuts, olive oil, fish) and eat all that above your maintenance while doing HST and you'll grow. When you've been lifting for a long time and are near your genetic limits you can start obsessing about the details.

Hello lanette!

"Why are we taking fats in order to lose it? Isn't it we are going to avoid it?"

We should avoid ALL fats, they are essential in various organic porcessos. We should avoid saturated fats (those of animal origin) and processed oils, and give preference to 'good fats' like eletric quoted above. On combinations of foods that I mentioned, take a look at the links below:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi42.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi1.htm

Some excerpts:

"...Eat Meals Containing Protein And Carbs (with minimal fat)
It's well known in the research world that eating carbs and protein together also creates a synergistic insulin release (much like the fat and carb meals above). But in this scenario, that insulin release is just what we want..."

"...Eat Meals Containing Protein And Fat (with minimal carbs)
Although it's desirable to eat some meals each day that release lots of insulin, upregulate protein synthesis, and fill up carb stores, it's advisable to avoid too many such meals.
I discussed the reasons for this above (reduced insulin sensitivity and prevention of fat burning), but also, since we all know that essential fatty acids are so important to health and favorable body composition, eating protein and carb meals all day will prevent the ingestion of healthy fats. And that's no good..."

think i read somewhere it was 12cals per lb to lose weight and 15cals per lb to gain,dont know if thats correct or not.

Back