Diet / Nutrition System - Looking for feedback/input

OgreRaging

Hey guys,
At the below link is the diet / “eating lifestyle” / whatever you want to call it that I’ve been following for the past 6 weeks. I’m looking to get some feedback on it, but before that, I think I need to give some background on myself and the goals of this system (this is a bit lengthy, but I wanted to try to make it as clear as possible).

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tn6Un5pMYJcJhG278KIo0Yg&output=html

I am a 6’ 4” guy weighing in at 214 pounds. My current body fat percentage is somewhere between 18.1% and 9.9% (electronic hand measurement device calculated 18.1, and the skin fold caliper test calculated 9.9%). When I started this system, I was weighing in around 225. My short-term goal is to drop my body fat percentage to the point where I can see my six-pack (summer time, so sun’s out, guns out).
The longer term goal is a system that promotes overall health across a variety of metrics, including:

1) Cardiovascular health through:
a. Sodium beneath recommended guidelines (2,400 mg/day)
b. Minimize trans fats / saturated fats

2) Prevention of diabetes / insulin related conditions through:
a. Low cumulative glycemic index (below 100 whenever possible)

3) Digestive health through:
a. High fiber diet

4) Antioxidant rich diet through:
a. High fruit and vegetable intake
b. Proper nutrient supplementation

Explaining the methodology:

To achieve these goals, I started with something along the lines of a Zone© diet, then made some modifications based on particular goals. I’m trying to spare my muscle as much as is possible, so I’ve kept protein intake around 1.5 grams per pound of body weight (hoping my body will draw from amino acids in the blood stream, if they’re ample enough, before drawing from muscle tissue), and I’m about to enter my 4th mesocycle of my first HST rotation (and the workouts have been great thus far). I just watched Bryan’s 8 part videos on “The Truth about Diets,” and most of the ideas already incorporated in this system seem to have been borne out in his videos, to my relief. Almost all the carbs are low glycemic indexed and in quantities that correlate to low glycemic loads, but I’ve also paired almost all carb intake with some healthy fat intake, to further slow the absorption of the carbs and maintain low insulin levels. The only time carbs are unpaired with fats are pre- and post- workout, in an attempt to rush glycogen (and amino acids) back into muscle tissue.

I also wanted a system that was flexible enough that once summer is over, I can start adding calories (particularly carbs) to boost my intake above maintenance levels (any input as to optimal percentages of carbs, proteins, and fats, for muscle growth?). As it stands, the daily intakes on Workout and Non-Workout days come in around 3000 and 2700, respectively.

Here is the estimation process for my BMR:

214 Lbs / 2.2 KG/LB = 97.5 KG

97.5 Kilos * 24 hours = 2,335 BMR

I believe (and here I could also use some further input) that my activity level factor should be approximately 1.25. I have a desk job, but I lift 3 days a week and do 375 kcal (from approx 25 min) of cardio everyday (on workout days, post lift). Getting this information from the HST website, I believe I am more active than the “Light Active” category (1.1 - 1.2 (Regular Exercise 3 times/week + desk job or at home most of day)) but less active than “Active” category (1.3 - 1.4 (Daily exercise + work on feet most of day)).

So, if the above assumptions are correct,

2335 BMR * 1.25 = 2918 Kcal per day for maintenance.

Over a given week, that would be 20,431 Kcal, and I’m currently taking in about 19800 (3*3000 + 4*2700) Kcal. This leaves me a net deficit of around 600 cal/week. Then add in approximately half of the 2625 calories (7*375 calories per day of cardio), or 1300 calories, and I’m up to a weekly deficit of around 1900 calories (on this my calculations are heavily based upon assumptions – open to input from folks with more knowledge on this subject). If my information is correct, and a pound of fat has 3500 calories in it, I’ve set up a slow decline in terms of body fat, a little over half a pound / week I think. I am content with a gradual decline if it means I can spare a high percentage of the muscle I have already. And, based on Bryan’s info that a pound of fat can provide approximately 31 calories of energy per day, if I have approximately 20 pounds of fat to trim out, I believe my fat stores can provide that deficit of energy.

Now that you have the majority of the information/thought process behind the system, do you agree with it? Do you think there are more effective methods/modifications? Are there parts you’d alter? I am open to any ideas/opinions.

Also, having watched Bryan’s videos, I’m wondering if anyone has experience with diet plateaus? Based on my system, are there reasonable predictions that can be made as to when I might expect to see a plateau (I haven’t seen one yet, but I want to have some idea of when it might occur, if at all possible)? And when that happens, how long should the “re-feed” period be? Is it dependent upon the amount of weight lost / the speed at which the weight was lost?

Thanks for the read, and any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Back