Dieting question

I

imported_diznik

Hey everybody, quick dieting question:

How much weight gain should someone expect if they were trying to reach maintenance calories after eating about 400 calories under maintenance for a very long time (years). My girlfriend is trying to drop about 10 pounds but shes terrified of adding calories because she thinks she'll gain too much weight, though I tell her that her metabolism will never turn on unless she adds some calories.

Will she gain weight going back to maintenance(I'm assuming she will), and if so what can be done to keep weight gain to a minimum? Is it necessary to return to maintenance to ultimately lose weight, or would it be more effective to simply have her cut calories from her current diet (which I think sounds very dangerous given that her diet seems to be very deficient to me as it is)?

The goal here is ultimately weight loss, not muscle gain, and we can assume that the person exercises with weights (to keep muscle loss to a minimum) and cardio regularly. My thinking is that if her diet is better, and she reaches maintenance calories, her body will respond better to the dieting. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need some clarification (just read it and it sounds confusing as hell).

Back