dips for chest...

beingisbeing

while we're in the exercise technique mood...(hah)

for those of you guys that dip...

the best way to do this for chest I hear is:

- wide V grip (the bars are pointing away from your sides, dunno what thats called)

- lean forward

- (I've read on the web things about tucking in legs, bringing them forward etc. Can't make heads or tails of it?)

I usually bend knees and point them back as I dip

I tried to tuck legs in and up yesterday, and ate sh*t lol. it def made things harder...

how do you guys handle this?

lean forward and bring my knees up slightly. i use a weight belt to attach weights n hold the plates between my thighs as i go. works like a charm.

I see

whats slightly mean for you lcars?

(and I'm not nuts right? doing this def makes things way harder!! more pressure on the pecs I think)

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 14 2008,12:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">(and I'm not nuts right? doing this def makes things way harder!! more pressure on the pecs I think)</div>
I am not qualified to pass judgment on whether or not you are nuts. However, you will find that leaning forward turns your dips into a chest exercise, while maintaining a more erect posture tends to stress the triceps.

leaning forward for sure TR

But I meant tucking your legs in and bringing them forward, instead of letting them hang back/bend back

Seems to put a tremendous amount of pressure on the chest

Being: I think one of the most important things with dipping is that you should be comfortable during the movement. A deep dip is pretty hard on your shoulders and once you have worked up to adding 100lb or so to the movement you'll want to be sure you aren't going to suddenly hurt yourself because you can't maintain a certain position. So, just try to find a grip width that feels good to you; usually not too wide or too narrow will be good enough to hit your pecs hard and give your tris a blast too.

Get used to adducting your shoulder blades like you would for bench (although not quite as much); this will stabilise your shoulder joint during the movement. With just body weight it might seem harder to decide on how much torso angle to use but once you hang extra weight from a belt your C of G will effectively change and you will naturally compensate for that to some degree and find a groove that works for you.

Tipping your head forward a bit and looking down should help keep your torso angle from becoming too vertical, esp. once you start to struggle. Conversely, lifting your head and looking more forward or up will tend to cause a shift to a more vertical torso angle. Experiment and see.

Keeping your knees and hips bent a bit is a good idea. Assuming you don't have to lift your legs to keep your feet from hitting the floor then a comfortable bend is all that's necessary. Just keep them in the same position throughout the movement - no thrusting to help kip yourself back up to the top position.

Dips were tough on my AC and glenohumeral joints initially and once it got heavy toward the end of the 5s I used to feel as if I might rip in half during the turnaround (thankfully, I never did!). My advice is not to rush into adding too much weight too soon even if you feel able to do so; allow your body time to strengthen the various ligaments and insertions over a few cycles. You want progress not an injury.

Adding negs at the end of a cycle is easy with dips but, again, just be careful not to go too heavy too soon. For your initial post-5s you could take your 5RM load and do 3 or 4 regular reps followed by another 3-5 negs. You should find you can repeat that for a few sets and get some good strain going on. Then at the end of the next cycle you could try incrementing the load a bit beyond your 5RM and see how you feel doing negs with that.

I really hope you get on well with these because I think they're one of the best upper body exercises out there. Once you have them down see if you can find some oly rings to try dipping with. It'll probably be quite a shock the first time you try!

do a search for Gironda Dips (there's even some video on YouTube)...they're a chest blaster - highly recommended

I'm not a fan of a few things about Gironda style dips. I think they allow a much greater chance for injury/joint pain if you are using them as part of a progressive loading cycle (with body weight is probably fine but heavy 5s are a different matter).

Abducting the scaps to get your shoulders more round to the front and flaring the elbows out in true Gironda style was what gave me loads of AC joint trouble. I learnt how to stabilise my shoulders for bench (which I appreciate is loading them from a different angle to dips) by adducting the scaps and keeping the elbows in more. This helped me immensely so I did the same for dips et voila! No more AC joint trouble from dipping even under heavy loading. I still get a terrific pump in my pecs.

By all means give Gironda dips a try but be aware that they may lead to problems once you are lifting in the 5s.

========

I just measured my dip hand spacing: 27-28&quot; centre to centre seems about ideal for me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I really hope you get on well with these because I think they're one of the best upper body exercises out there.</div>
Totally agree with Lol. I just want to repeat that once you hang some weight from your waist, you will automatically lean forward in order to better maintain your balance.

I'm not a big fan of flared out elbows either. Too much strain on the shoulders in my opinion. My grip is as wide as the V-bars will allow me to go, but I don't consciously try to push my elbows outwards. After all, if you think about it, it only makes sense that your dipping technique should be similar to your benching technique, and we all know what Rippetoe advises...

check on the gironda dips

they look like a great chest work out, but they also look scary as hell

my shoulders used to get tweaked real bad until I followed Rip/Lyles advice on bench form

voila, no tweaks
smile.gif

Let me ask you guys this

My pecs are coming in very bottom heavy

Routine has been Flat bench + dips pretty exclusively (I do OH press but with strict form, no lean back)

Will switching emphasis to incline benching help bring in the upper pec, or is this old BB mythology BS and totally under genetic control?

Is there a type of cable cross over that hits the upper pec?

Back