Dr Atkins no carb diet

I

imported_damo

My girlfriends gone on this, i dont think its good.
You lot seem like a learned bunch, what do you say?

As long as she watches the type of fats she eats it's fine. Make sure she's getting her EFA's and stays away from trans and hydrogenated fats.

really?
what type of foods have trans and hydrogenated fats?
thanks a lot

And buy her a good supply of breath mints
thumbs-up.gif

You guys been following the Atkins and low calorie diets dont work threads on MFW. Lyle's cracking me up, 5 star entertainment
laugh.gif

I did the Adkins diet for two weeks and started getting lean and losing water of course, but my muscles went flat and my strength went rock bottom and it ruined my HST cycle. I will not do the Adkins diet unless I quit bodybuilding. To me they do not gel with each other very well.

I feel not only from experience but from research that the Atkins diet is really not all that healthy. It just doesn't allow for all the important nutrients people need. Plus there's a huge, massive potential for burnout. I found it literally impossible, nausiating and tiresome to get through even two weeks.

Really, the best way to lose fat safely and very effectively is to determine mantainence calories and subtract calories by 300-400 or so while getting exercise. HST training helps alot even for girls. The most important thing on this kind of diet is to KEEP A LOG of what you eat, keep track of calories, its a royal pain but it really is the only way. There are a ton of websites with Nutritional information for just about every single edible thing there is including popular restaraunts. Also, spreading meals over 7 or 8 times a day helps a ton.

Just my two cents there.

I think the only benefit of a keto diet is psychological. It controls cravings and allow people with already poor dietary habits to eat a lot of "junk" while still losing weight. I don't recommend it to anyone serious about bodybuilding unless they have the knowledge and discipline to eat clean foods, and are able to handle the poor workout performance.

http://www.sciencenews.org/20030208/bob8.asp
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Critics of the Atkins diet say that it is likely to have dangerous side effects. Bone health is
one concern about it and other low-carb diets.
"The huge load of animal protein ingested in such diets leaches calcium from the bones and
sends it through the kidneys into the urine," says Neal Barnard, president of the
Washington, D.C.–based Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. High protein
intake increases the acidity of blood. In response, acid-neutralizing calcium gets pulled from
bones. Also, excess urea from the protein pulls extra water into the kidneys, so dissolved
calcium is expelled. "Over the long run, that can spell osteoporosis," says Barnard.
A study in the August 2002 American Journal of Kidney Diseases showed that after 6
weeks on the Atkins diet, the 10 participants made urine containing 55 percent more
calcium than it had at the start of the trial.
People on meat-heavy diets are also more prone to kidney stones, gout, colon cancer, and
potentially cardiovascular problems, Barnard adds. A high-fat diet might also boost the
cholesterol and triglycerides, or free fatty acids, in people's blood. High cholesterol and fatty
acid concentrations are linked to heart disease.
Something to think about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ Feb. 21 2003,9:03)]http://www.sciencenews.org/20030208/bob8.asp
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Critics of the Atkins diet say that it is likely to have dangerous side effects. Bone health is
"The huge load of animal protein ingested in such diets leaches calcium from the bones and
sends it through the kidneys into the urine," says Neal Barnard, president of the
Washington, D.C.–based Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. High protein
intake increases the acidity of blood. In response, acid-neutralizing calcium gets pulled from
bones. Also, excess urea from the protein pulls extra water into the kidneys, so dissolved
calcium is expelled. "Over the long run, that can spell osteoporosis," says Barnard.
A study in the August 2002 American Journal of Kidney Diseases showed that after 6
weeks on the Atkins diet, the 10 participants made urine containing 55 percent more
People on meat-heavy diets are also more prone to kidney stones, gout, colon cancer, and
potentially cardiovascular problems, Barnard adds. A high-fat diet might also boost the
cholesterol and triglycerides, or free fatty acids, in people's blood. High cholesterol and fatty
Something to think about.
They should go tell that to the Enuik.....
dozingoff.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ Feb. 22 2003,8:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]http://www.sciencenews.org/20030208/bob8.asp
Critics of the Atkins diet say that it is likely to have dangerous side effects. Bone health is
Something to think about.[/qoute]

this is the problem with most anti-atkins types.

most people who do atkins dont alter fat or protein intake, only carb, therefore theres no "huge load of animal protein", not that a huge loan of protein would make any real difference. (urinary ca returns to normal over time)

Meat heavy diets and colon cancer is filled with guestimates in reality. Usually related to salt laden (cured) meats. Japanese get high stomach cancer rates and they eat a high carb low fat diet....

Under dieting protocols, insulin sensitivity, TAGs, Cholesterol etc will all reduce. (altho one recent study shows an increased in tags/cholesterol while dieting)

Not that Im recommending a atkins diet, especialyl for maintenance or bulking, as in that condition tags/cholesterol will raise nicely (seen cases of it doubling 4.5mmol/L to >9/0mmol/L)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They should go tell that to the Enuik.....
Native cultures are usually 'built' for their native diets. But most cultures would not eat anything like an atkins (and the absolute lack of activity associated with the western lifestyle)
I doubt anyone would see a atkin'ite eating a lump of seal meat and blubber semi-raw...mmmmm seal
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 21 2003,4:53)]not that a huge loan of protein would make any real difference. (urinary ca returns to normal over time)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They should go tell that to the Enuik.....
Native cultures are usually 'built' for their native diets. But most cultures would not eat anything like an atkins (and the absolute lack of activity associated with the western lifestyle)
I doubt anyone would see a atkin'ite eating a lump of seal meat and blubber semi-raw...mmmmm seal
tounge.gif
Did you mean Innuit? As in the Eskimos? They also have a tremendous rate of osteoporosis. . . despite the old women's habit of chewing fish bones to kill time (high calcium.)

Aaron, I'd never heard the urinary ca returns to "normal" over time. Over what kind of time? (I'm not doubting you, I'm asking for more. I've seen enough from you to trust you.)

The literature behind the US RDAs notes that the reason recommended calcium levels are higher than that recommend by the WHO is specifically because of higher than average consumption of animal proteins in this country. . . Old information, perhaps?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Feb. 23 2003,8:46)]Did you mean Innuit? As in the Eskimos? They also have a tremendous rate of osteoporosis. . . despite the old women's habit of chewing fish bones to kill time (high calcium.)
In all the references i see of inuit/osteoporosis, I havent actually seen decent research over it. Cant say I have looked extremely hard for it though. But it should also be stated that they generally have a very low calcium intake, high protein and low calcium generally (in western diets) dont go hand in hand. Also diet is only one small factor in the larger osteoporosis picture, which there may be a genetic difference between the inuit and other cultures.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Aaron, I'd never heard the urinary ca returns to "normal" over time. Over what kind of time? (I'm not doubting you, I'm asking for more. I've seen enough from you to trust you.)
Some research has shown this. Generally the research on high protein/calcium loss were done in short term, but over the period of a few weeks after starting a high protein diet, calcium excretition will decrease back to baseline. Now I am not saying that it will go right back, but its close enough to be basically insignificant. Especially in a population that eats more calcium that others, and is engaged in weight bearing activity like weightlifters in general. High calcium itnake is good for fat loss too, so its all good. Altho there is it, and prostate cancer...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The literature behind the US RDAs notes that the reason recommended calcium levels are higher than that recommend by the WHO is specifically because of higher than average consumption of animal proteins in this country. . . Old information, perhaps?
Americans have the highest recommendations for calcium intake in the world, basically so high that very few people in the population will ever get it. Basically the final figures werent the amount for any loss agaist the protein intake (most calcium is with dairy, a protien that is associated with inreased losses) it was designed for maximal calcium deposition during adolescence and also minimal calcium loss as you age.

look...... i dont see the problem.
Refined carbs are man made. Products that contain wheat, sugar etc are all man made. Even the humble potato is recent in the history of human consumption.
So why is everyone on this bandwagon of Atkins being unhealthy? Perhaps he goes too far with his promotion of fat intake....but if you are sensible, there should be no problem.
The only thing i would say is that atkins might not be suitable for active people who get through their glycogen store like its money.
But for sedentary people it probably makes sense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stevie @ Feb. 25 2003,6:21)]So why is everyone on this bandwagon of Atkins being unhealthy? Perhaps he goes too far with his promotion of fat intake....but if you are sensible, there should be no problem.
His concept of the diet has little reference, possibly the masai in africa, but unless you are a masai you dont have their genetics. No one else in history has eaten this high a level of saturated fat that most get with atkins diets. Sensible is one thing but most people who eat are not sensible 50% of people are below average intellegence
wow.gif
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The only thing i would say is that atkins might not be suitable for active people who get through their glycogen store like its money.
But for sedentary people it probably makes sense.
The only thing about atkins that makes sense for anyone is a controlled calorie intake, thats all. You can comfortably get away with 200g per day (50% of the calorie intake most sedentary people should have) and have no problems being sedentary and weights.

Carbs =! bad
Fats =! bad

people are just heading back to the opposite extreme once again, (just like in the 60's) and I am sure that they will head back the other direction once again, and then back again.

I'm Damians girlfriend and I'm on the Atkins diet and I have a seriously sexy body!

I'm sure there's a good chance I'll get flamed for this, but what the heck...

I've been on the Atkins diet since December and have lost ~22 lbs so far. I'm currently in the 3rd week of 5's (5RM in lieu of negatives) and my weights are actually going up. I'm not sure if this is just a mental thing or what, but when I started I was hoping to at least maintain my strength, but I seem to be moving up. It's not by leaps and bounds though... only ~5-10lbs per exercise.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm currently in the 3rd week of 5's (5RM in lieu of negatives) and my weights are actually going up.
There is not as high a glycogen demand in the lower reps.

Back