EFA and CLAs...

I

imported_damo

Are these recommended to be taken all the time, regardless of whether you are bulking or leaning up?

Are the effect biased more towards fat loss or muscle gain?

Am thinking about adding one or the other to my supplementation - currently protein and creatine.

Thanks

They should be taken whether you are dieting or bulking.

I would take fish oil first. It has the widest array of benefits and is less expensive.

CLA is a waste of money IMO - you would be much better off with the core EFA's like Fish Oil and/or Flax seed oil. I take a little bit of both, but I know some people strictly advocate one or the other. Also, take them regardless of bulking/leaning - just adjust your amounts accordingly.

I actually had good results with CLA. You have to take it for a while though, and you have to take a lot more than the bottle recommends -- Bryan suggested 6 grams per day, I believe. Unfortunately, this can get expensive, but over time it was worth it for me.

Is there anything to look out for when buying EFAs? I'm based in the UK so any suggestions would be good.
And 6g a day yeah?

edit:

have found this -

Flaxseed (Linseed) Oil 1000mg capsules
Each capsule gives you 1000mg of flaxseed oil, one of the most potent natural sources of linolenic acid and Omega-3 polyunsaturates. FREE FROM: WHEAT, GLUTEN, YEAST, CORN, SOYA, SUGAR, STARCH, LACTOSE, SALT, PRESERVATIVES, ARTIFICIAL COLOURS AND FLAVOURINGS.

Does that sound ok?

or is this better?

Natural EPA Fish Oil Marine Lipid Concentrate 1000 mg. Capsules
Now you can increase your intake of EPA and DHA, the two essential Omega-3 fatty acids without having to eat large amounts of oily fish. Just one capsule of Holland & Barrett's EPA Marine Lipid Concetrate provides 180 mg. of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) and 120 mg. of DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid.). Holland & Barrett is proud to offer you such a beneficial natural supplement. Order your supply today. FREE FROM: WHEAT, GLUTEN, YEAST, CORN, SUGAR, STARCH, LACTOSE, SALT, PRESERVATIVES, ARTIFICIAL COLOURS AND FLAVOURINGS.

Dear damo,

Go with Holland & Barrett's EPA Marine Lipid Concetrate. Flax seed oil can have conversion issues, since it is the EPA and DHA we really want, not so much the Omega 3s per se.

Their marketing pitch is reminiscent of old school grandiloquence... brings to mind the carbolic smoke ball classic.... :D

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

Thanks
thumbs-up.gif

And take 6g a day after carbs?

Dear Damo,

6gm a day tops all at once right after a carb-rich meal should do the trick :)

Dear Wolge,

Cost can be an issue though, especially with CLA. In the supplement FAQ, a max of 6gm a day of CLA is recommended. This is expensive.

On the other hand, fish oils are cheaper. Ideally, we would take both CLA and fish oils. But if cost is an issue, take fish oils first.

can you recommend me some products for cla and fish oil...? I prefere powders...?! (please tell me the shops in the internet as well)

Dear Wolge,

To be honest, I've yet to come across fish oil and CLA in powder form.

For fish oils, the typicl products seems to be 1gm gel-caps with 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per gel-cap in various capsule counts. Fish oils aren't too costly really, but cost can go up if you decide to go for those certified free of contaminants - these should be molecularly distilled. Few brands have this, Zone is one of them I think. Atkins too. For me, being in Australia, the supplements tend to be safe, notwithstanding the quite recent Pan Pharmaceutical debacle.

For CLA, those with Tonalin certification can be more expensive, but then again, it is a question of finding what's on special and at where, so a surf or a spot of window-shopping might prove useful, depending on how you like to shop and where you are located.

Try www.netrition.com and see what the current specials are. www.drumlib.com gives a price comparison between brands on a per gram basis and this could be helpful. if in Australia, I tend to frequent www.vitaminzone.com.au

what take all 6g at once after carbs?

can't i take 2g 3x a day?

Dear damo,

1. what take all 6g at once after carbs? can't i take 2g 3x a day?

>>>> The idea of taking it all at once after a carb meal is to maximize the chances of the O3s getting pass the liver. I suppose you could take it 2g 3x a day but try to take it after carb meals.

Those on carb-restricted diets should try to take it after the meals with the highest carbs.

Those on no-carb diets should take it after a protein meal.

I wouldn't advocate taking them on an empty stomach :)

Back