exercise helping weight loss?

Bob Evans

I have been reading studies that say aerobic exercise really doesnt help with weight loss... only diet matters. Is this true? And if so does that also include strength training? I feel like I am wasting my time at the gym these days and after reading the articles my motivation is really low. Any tips?

No doubt you could lose weight through diet manipulation alone, but physical activity will greatly speed this process. Remember, muscle requires more energy, therefore a faster metablolism. Stick with exercise, you can't go wrong.

And, don't believe everything you read, even studies published in reputable journals. Put everything under a microscope, or just decide not to let yourself be swayed by this stuff, at least until you have a real preponderance of evidence.
Jake

A lot depends on how much aerobic exercise you do? I used to ride a bicycle all day, every day, for about 6 months, as well as work out. I didn't up my caloric input and naturally dropped weight. There is a ratio there. If you eat too much, and don't do enough exercise, you will gain weight. If you eat too little, or are doing too much exercise, you will lose weight and become weaker.

Trainers who train the US Special Forces have them up their carb intakes and recommund 5000 calories a day plus in order to maintain their energy levels under extreme conditions. Do I recommend you do this? Well, unless you want to swim a mile, run every where you go, do constant calisthenics, and come back looking like skinny, I would have to say no. OF course, strength and endurance are way up there.

Conversely, inducing hypertrophy and getting cut involes dietary changes including but not limited to depleting your body of things that will make it ready for contest. SKin like parchment, etc. Is that good for above? No way, but the caloric levels are of such as to sustain the muscle without putting on fat. Do these guys recommend cardio? Not at all, unless they want their bodies to begin consuming all that hard earned muscle.

So, the correct answer is that if you want to grow measure your cardio against your need to grow. 20 minutes 3 times a week of elevated heart rate is great for you. Diet is important. Lifting is too. But you have too feed your bodies the proper ratios of food to exercise as well, to determine growth or loss.

Back when I was in the service, it was nothing to drink coffee all day, consume at least half a case of Mountain Dew, at least 2 six packs of beer, three huge meals a day, plus in between snacks like crazy. And I had a problem with weight, so I used to exercise like a mad dog to keep it off. Was I in shape? Yeah, but what it took to get there was ridiculous. But I guess I needed that much in calories to sustain life at that level. SO, you have to think and adjust. Bascially, it boils down to do nothing, eat nothing. Do a lot, eat a lot.

Stretch

Back