Fat loss / cutting stalled

• Thread starter imported_dojomatic
  • Start date
"maintenence" calories is different for everyone and moves constantly, people make the biggest mistake estimating their individual 'maintenance' and then thinking they only have to eat below that, when in fact the 'maintenance' amount of calories will  slowly drop as you diet.

Measure your waist, and get on the scale weekly, weight and waist circumference will fluctuate but the trend overtime must be losing weight or you are eating too much, keep dropping calories until you start dropping fat.

Its actually VERY simple, losing weight.  The hard part is discipline in eating and counting calories!
tounge.gif
(at least for me)

<div>
(dojomatic @ Oct. 17 2007,15:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1. Cardio. Started doing more. 45 min. 2x/week and one 30 min. session on the weekends.</div>
When I was serious about losing weight, I did an hour of cardio 5X/week.

Along with 3X/week workouts and a careful diet, I lost 10% of my total body weight over a three month period. I wound up at less than 12% body fat.

I think you'll find that your cardio is a big help. More cardio would be a bigger help...

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 17 2007,17:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(dojomatic @ Oct. 17 2007,15:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1. Cardio.  Started doing more.  45 min. 2x/week and one 30 min. session on the weekends.</div>

Along with 3X/week workouts and a careful diet, I lost 10% of my total body weight over a three month period. I wound up at less than 12% body fat.

I think you'll find that your cardio is a big help. More cardio would be a bigger help...</div>
Now THAT'S dedication....great job tunnelrat. You are an inspiration. Anyone with that much willpower is going to get good results in the gym and in life!
cool.gif

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Oct. 08 2007,03:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">oh fookin hell</div>
I concur!

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 17 2007,17:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(dojomatic @ Oct. 17 2007,15:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1. Cardio. Started doing more. 45 min. 2x/week and one 30 min. session on the weekends.</div>

I think you'll find that your cardio is a big help. More cardio would be a bigger help...</div>
I totally agree with you TRat. The thing is that I took it too far three years ago and was (and still am to an extent) hesitant to do too much. Three years ago I lost 39 lbs in 6 weeks as part of a weight loss bet. I did the same thing you did, cardio 5x a week and anywhere from 60 to 75 minutes. Unlike you, however, my weightlifting was essentially non-existent and my diet was low cal, but not controlled in any other aspects. That year I ended up losing a little over 70lbs. By the end of the year I had found HST, thank goodness! Yeah I was skinny...but soft!!

Anyway, right now I'm trying to find a balance between getting leaner while trying to make progress, even if it is very slowly, on my lifting. Which as you can see in my training log, is not going that well. I've hit a wall on my lifting, but OTH, I'm losing flab, which is my priority at the moment.

But whatever, I'm still new at this and I'm learning a whole lot. I know people that have been at this for longer already know this, but for me is a new lesson-in-progress: The fact that a lot of it is getting to know your body and learning the adjustments that work with you. It's a process that can be both facinating and frustrating at times.

<div>
(dojomatic @ Oct. 17 2007,15:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Update:

Ok, so it's been 10 days since I last posted and I was going to wait a little and see if there was progress.  My weight for the last two mornings has been 170.8.  I'm guessing some of it has been water loss, but still, I'm finally seeing some progress again.  

I've basically changed two things:

1. Cardio.  Started doing more.  45 min. 2x/week and one 30 min. session on the weekends.

2. IF.  I started eating IF style 6 days ago.  Has that made a difference?  I don't know, but since I started eating like this my weight has gone down steadily.  I can't establish causality, but there is a correlation.

Calories have actually stayed the same at arount 1,845, but the plan is to average about 1,750 (2,500 on workout days and 1,200 on off/cardio days)  

I guess this means that maybe, just maybe, Totz was right!
wink.gif
</div>
&quot;Update on the update&quot; if anyone is paying attention to this:

A week after my last update I went on vacation for a week so that became my SD since I din't lift any weights and I only did cardio twice.  I averaged around 2200 cal. per day on vacation and my weight stayed the same at 170 which was a surprise.  I've averaged around 2,050 calories since then and I'm currently at 167 and haven't lost any strength.  

The IF thing &quot;SEEMS&quot; to be having a positive effect so I'm going to keep doing it for a while.  I currently shoot for 1,400 calories on non-lifting days and 2,800 on lifting days.  That put's me at an average of 2,000 per day or around 12 cal/lb BW which is still a mild deficit so hopefully I'll be able to recomp a bit.

Back