Fat loss supplements

Solvo Reputo

I would like to hear from anyone who has used any of the following products:

Xenadrine RFA 1
Xenadrine EFX (ephadra-free)
Hydroxycut

What I'd like to know is which do you think is the most effective product for fat loss.

I have used the Hydroxycut (US version) and it worked well for me. I was doing lots of sprinting at the time and lost 36lbs which is a lot for me. I started the Hydroxycut at 196 lbs and ended up at 160 lbs over a 12 week period. I was taking it in the AM on an empty stomach about 30 minutes before my morning work outs, and again in the mid afternoon

If your buying any of the products without ephedrine or ephedra alkaloids in them, you are wasting your time as it would be just expensive caffeine with other worthless junk.

If you cant get stuff with ephdrine in it, just go without as once you have your diet in line, it makes only a small difference. If you need it for a pickup prior to training, just find some caffeine (100-200mg) and top that with 1-3grams of l-tyrosine.

Bluenoser that is really good! I just need to lose about 10 lbs more. I've been training for fat-loss for 3 months and lost 9 lbs in the first 2 months without supplements but for the 3rd month I couldn't lose more than 1 lb (despite implementing the usual advice for overcoming fat-loss plateus) which is why I want to use supplements now. You said you used the US version of Hydroxycut. I'm in the UK. I wasn't aware that there is a difference, what is it?

Aaron, thanks for the tip. You probably saved me from wasting money on the ephadra-free Xenadrine.

So now it's between Xenadrine RFA 1 and Hydroxycut. Which is more effective, anyone?

Solvo Reputo,

If you're looking for these products to "burn fat" without looking at your daily calories intake
you're wasting money.
Have you read this link from FAQ

Diet

There has been a few discussion this month by Aaron_F try a search for his name.

Mikeh

I've never used Hydroxycut, but my suspicion is whatever weight loss effects one experiences on that product is due to the ephedrine and caffeine combo.

Problem is, Hydroxycut is pretty expensive for what is essentially a dressed-up EC stack. Plus they include hydroxycitric acid (hence the name), and there is very little evidence this stuff is of any benefit.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Hydroxycut: Unique? No. Expensive? Yes.

Actually, this could apply to all of their products.

-Calkid

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You said you used the US version of Hydroxycut. I'm in the UK. I wasn't aware that there is a difference, what is it?

I think you'll find the UK version is Ephedrine free. Not so easy to get a 'proper' ECA stack over here. I'd recommend trying the Ministry of Fitness website, they sell a 'herbal' (MaHuang) based fatburner that may suit you. It's basically an ECA stack, but using MaHuang, Willow etc...

Do some reading before you buy though: There's plenty of controversy about the safety of Ephedrine based products, which is why it can be hard to aquire. Personally, I'm not entirely convinced either way, but I suffer from high blood pressure anyway, so I leave 'em. Worth knowing exactly what you're thinking of taking though ;)

Good luck with the fat loss,

Rob.

Having researched the subject a little further I found out that Rob's suspicions are valid. The UK versions of Xenadrine and Hydroxycut are ephedrine-free. There is one supplement called Dymetadrine Xtreme which contains:

Ephedra Extract 8%: 300mg
L-Phenylalanine: 150mg
L-Tyrosine: 150mg
Caffeine: 100mg
Willow Bark Extract: 50mg

But is ephedra the same thing as ephedrine? I heard it is not and that ephedra only contains a few mgs of ephedrine. Is that true?

Thanks to a tip from Rob I went over to the Ministry of Fitness and found an Ephedrine FAQ specifically for UK bodybuilders. They said that you can get the Ephedrine from an over-the-counter drug called Do-Do Chesteze which is only £1.99 for 12 caps. Each cap contains 18.31mg of Ephedrine hydrochloride and 30mg of caffeine but also contains 100mg of theophylline. According to the Ministry of Sound Ephedrine FAQ theophylline is like caffeine and they said dosage is safe under 1000mg daily.
Do-Do Chesteze manufacturer's recommended dosage is no more than 1 cap per 4 hours but no more than 4 caps per 24 hours. Brian recommends 10 mg ephedrine and 100 mg caffeine 6 times daily at 2-hour intervals. I guess I could split the caps in half to accomodate his suggestion and get the extra caffeine from Pro Plus (caffeine supplement) (50mg caffeine per cap), £2.15 per 24 caps.
My dosage would look like this:
9mg ephedrine, 65mg caffeine & 50mg theophylline taken at 6am, 8am, 10am, 12 noon, 2pm and finally 4pm. That's a daily total of 54mg ephedrine, 390mg caffeine and 600mg theophylline.
Comments, criticisms?

Ephedra Extract 8% should tell you something. 8% of 300mg is 24mg of ephedrine, the rest is other alkaloids so most people usually "feel" more effect from the Ephedra versions. I generally consider pure Ephedrine HCL better, though.

Put in a bright package backed up by extensive and crative advertsing and 'they will come".
Save your $$$. Get the HCL "mini-thins" (8mg ea) and have a coffee.
A 1 month supply of HCL in Canada from GNC - C$ 20.
A bottle of Hydroxycut, Fat Nuker, or whatever...C$50 for 20 day supply......let me get my calculator out and.......
:)

You may find hard to believe it, but bodybuilders are not the most cretinous group of people when it comes to fat loss.

Women are
tounge.gif

It is one of the fun aspects of being a pharmacist... Every now and then something new and completely useless (if not harmful) will come out and women will flock to get it and become the hot bodies they've always been dreaming of...

They are determined to try ANYTHING at all, as long as it doesn't require them to stop their regular eating. Pills, chewing gums, herbal teas, topical gels & ointments, inhalers, diadermal patches, bracelets, aromatherapy and anything you can imagine (I haven't seen a fat-loss collyrium though :D )

I have tried various approaches to convince them they won't have any results. In vain... Like lottery players, they are not buying the product, they are buying the dream. It is really unbelievable that all cosmetic brands will promote year after year the same useless topical gels that "promote topical fat loss and reduce cellulitis". And it is equally unbelievable that women, year after year, will misinterpret the temporary results of topical massage for true fat loss...

Many of them are not completely idiots; they know that this stuff they're buying won't work... but they buy it nevertheless, "just in case"... They don't mind spending their euros chasing the impossible. I used to find all these amusing, but lately I'm more angry, because I can't see the consumer being protected in any way. It seems that anyone can advertise anything for whatever he wants without repercussions.

Well, some of the above actually also applies to bodybuilders ;)

Back