Fat storage

jsraaf

I'm a little confused & hope someone can straighten me out.

I'm doing my first HST cycle, and I'm eating around 2000-2500 cals (170lb) which is in the ballpark for maintenance; daily carb intake is somewhat limited (around 200g); protein is 150-180g/day (1 g/pound), taking 3g fish oil daily. All this assumes that measurements of food amounts, calories, are fairly accurate. I also began using Creatine (HS:Cre) during my 15s.

This type of intake would then be conducive to slow fat loss, with some possible lean weight gain.

Correct so far?

OK - as of now (in my 1st week of 10s), I am not seeing any appreciable fat loss. I have noticed some muscle size gain, specifically in the arms and a little in the chest (shoulders can't see a darn thing yet). I assume this is likely from the creatine. My waist may have expanded a little.

I'm wondering if my fat intake is too low.

My questions:
1. Would too low a fat intake cause the fat that is consumed to be stored?
2. Is this affected by the type of fat being consumed?
3. Once I get further into the cycle, might I expect this to change?
4. Do I just need to do some light-to-moderate cardio (20-30 min, 2-3 times per week)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jsraaf @ Feb. 19 2003,11:05)]I'm a little confused & hope someone can straighten me out.
I'm doing my first HST cycle, and I'm eating around 2000-2500 cals (170lb) which is in the ballpark for maintenance; daily carb intake is somewhat limited (around 200g); protein is 150-180g/day (1 g/pound), taking 3g fish oil daily. All this assumes that measurements of food amounts, calories, are fairly accurate. I also began using Creatine (HS:Cre) during my 15s.
This type of intake would then be conducive to slow fat loss, with some possible lean weight gain.
Correct so far?
As long as calories are in check, it will
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]OK - as of now (in my 1st week of 10s), I am not seeing any appreciable fat loss. I have noticed some muscle size gain, specifically in the arms and a little in the chest (shoulders can't see a darn thing yet). I assume this is likely from the creatine. My waist may have expanded a little.
I'm wondering if my fat intake is too low.
My questions:
1. Would too low a fat intake cause the fat that is consumed to be stored?
huh, if you calories are negative, you cannot gain fat. Do you measure bodyfat levels?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. Is this affected by the type of fat being consumed?
sorta, but calories are still important, do you track calories.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. Once I get further into the cycle, might I expect this to change?
if calories are controlled, you should have noticed something already, as it goes on caloric demand is lower, so ...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]4. Do I just need to do some light-to-moderate cardio (20-30 min, 2-3 times per week)?
potentially, if that helps make your energy balance negative.

Thanks, Aaron, for basically confirming my thoughts.

I have been tracking meals on Fitday.com, and "guesstimating" portion sizes (I think I'm pretty close). The calories seem to be fairly consistent. I have not measured BF%, though I should.

I have suspected some insulin insensitivity issues (though I can't confirm, and admit I'm not that knowledgable in that area), hence another reason for watching the carb intake. I'm a little wary of going too low on calories. Not quite sure where that fine line is between too much & too little; haven't figured that out yet.

Also wonder whether my metabolic rate is really increasing, considering the additional food, workouts, etc.

I hope I am not being too impatient & expecting too much too soon, or being unrealistic. :confused:

I hope I am not being too impatient & expecting too much too soon, or being
unrealistic.
jsraaf,

You finished 2 weeks of 15's and you noticed some muscle size gain (great)
but no fat lost and you're wondering if you're being too impatient or unrealistic??

It's difficult to add muscle and drop fat at the same time.
Do you have a lot of fat to loose ??
It looks like your diet is dialed in pretty good. IF you continue to add FAT
you might want to drop your carbs to 150 - 100 gms on non-workout days.
This would cut 200 - 400 cals on non-WO days.
IF at the end of this cycle you haven't lost FAT
try to cut back to 2000 - 2200 cals during your next cycle (170 x12 = cals)
I find the 15's and 10's will burn some fat off at (BW x 12)

And happy 41st birthday.
Mikeh

Thanks, Mike, for the info (and bday wishes).

My main goal is some fat loss for this cycle, though I don't have that much to lose. I am taking a cruise in 4 weeks :D and want to lose the ab flab that makes me "skinny fat". Next cycle I plan to (try) to go for mass gains.

I'll continue to monitor the lovehandle situation & see how it goes and make the easy dietary adjustments. I've started a little cardio to boot, so we'll see...

In 4 weeks you should be able to loose 6 - 8 lbs as far as "little cardio" and
those love handles read this

FAQ diet and cardio

Getting rid of stubborn bodyfat - by Lyle McDonald

Also I'm in the same boat "skinny guy with love handles"
laugh.gif

and I hate cardio .........

I'm hoping in 4 weeks I can lose what I've spent 40 years creating! ;)

Nothing worse than a guy w/ hips wider than his shoulders.... I'm too close for comfort!

jsraaf,

How's the fat loss going ??

Did you try "Getting rid of stubborn bodyfat" - by Lyle McDonald method ??

How many weeks until the cruise ??

Mikeh

Hey Mike -

It's coming slowly, which is probably best. Seem to be hanging on to the (little!) muscle I have, also good.

I am only doing 20-30 cardio 2-3x (early morning before 1st meal) per week at this point - I'm not doing the HIIT part at the beginning as Lyle describes.

I've cut back on calorie intake to probably about 1500-1800 (I figure about 2000 maintenance for me) and trying to watch the carbs late in the day. I have tried adding some healthy fats daily (I'll either use 4-6g fish oil gelcaps or a tablespoon or 2 of EV olive oil) but trying to keep that limited as well.

2.5 weeks to go until the Bon Voyage.

Thanks for asking Mike!

Back