fiber and calories

tai4ji2x

quick question: does fiber actually factor into your caloric and carb totals? i thought it's not actually utilized in the metabolic process, it just keep ya regular
tounge.gif

that's what i figured, but i still wonder why all the nutrition labels still include the fiber in the calorie count. even laxatives like sugar-free metamucil lists the 5 grams of fiber per serving as having "20 calories"

Because officially it is still a carbohydrate. So it does produce calories, especially if measured in the laboratory.
from memory it intestinal microflora can get 15-20kj or so per gram

thanks. just double checking though - for all intents and purposes, the fiber still doesn't really count for calories, right? :confused:

I hear different things. As Aaron pointed out, your instestinal bactera can still metabolize some of the fiber, though I don't know how much or usable it is. I just deduct the fiber from the total carb count for food.

cheers,
Jules

It's hard to figure out how many calories it counts for, and it may vary widely depending on the exact type of fiber, your intestinal fauna, and how long you've been consuming that fiber (giving your fauna a chance to adapt.)

Two things to note:

1. The calorie count TO YOU is far lower than the total calorie count. Having bacteria digest fiber and then having you digest bacteria is not as effecient a process as having you digest sugar.

2. The carb count TO YOU is zero. The bacteria digest the carbs in the fiber. When you digest the bacteria, you're digesting a fiber-less carb-less animal product.

They can calculate most of the energy available.
Most intestinal bacteria will produce short chain fatty acids, such as butyric acid and the likes. Also produce gases such as methane etc
The main problem they have is the canot esimate how much we will use of hte fatty acids, which is why we have an average figure that I cant remember =) The fats either get used by the intestinal epithelial cells or transported by the portal vein to the liver.

Back