fish oil capsules

wonder where the orange roughy was caught, or if the skin was removed, as the USDA database shows only 0.7g of fat per 100g. Because 1) orange roughy is a cold water, deep water living fish and 2) Other resources I use (NZ based ones, where a large amount of the orange roughy are caught) show 7.5-8.5g/100g With about 1g of polyunsaturates (the NZ food composition database doesnt split the shorter from the longer chain unsaturates
sad.gif
)

what about canned natural salmo salar (salmon)?
Anyway fish (expecially fresh) is definately expensive.

Salmon is definitely a great source for EPA and DHA.

I just now noticed that my links don't really work and that there is no way apparently to link directly to the data tables I've been looking at. In case you don't have it, here is the link for the homepage of the USDA nutrient data base. Just enter the name of the food you want to check and click enter (the clicking enter part is not necessarily obvious).

USDA Nutrient Database

As far as orange roughy goes, here is some info on distribution.

Orange roughy

The general rule of thumb I've heard for omega-3 distribution is that species in cold water (ex: salmon, trout, herring) have highest omega-3 content whereas warm water species have little or no omega-3. Orange roughy would be "cold water" in the sense of being a deep ocean fish, but I guess a better distinction may be "higher latitude" vs. "lower latitude." While the distribution of orange roughy does take it to pretty high latitudes, it is also found in the equatorial regions.

You link for the distribution of orange roughy is strange, as it doesnt include southern america in it.
But anyhows, you will notice that ~85% of the orange roughy supply comes from NZ/austalian Waters

The NZ food composition database (just looked) shows orange roughy flesh (not counting the skin obviously) has 7.8g/100g fat. With the majority comming from MUFAs the the remainder being split between SAFA and PUFA.

I wouldnt class trout as a cold water fish (especially in NZ anyway) except for some of the moutain lakes, where it can be cold. Orange roughy live nearly a km under the water occasionally, and the water is velly cold :)

Its just splitting hairs anyway, because the USDA data base shows a completely different figure to the NZ database, which is what I found strange.

Aaron_F wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its just splitting hairs anyway, because the USDA data base shows a completely different figure to the NZ database, which is what I found strange.
It is indeed interesting that the numbers should be so different. Orange roughy certainly is tasty though, regardless of the numbers.

Back