Fish Oil Supps

I was just about to search for info on joint supplements and found this thread.

I'd like to know if there are benefits for the joints with fish oils? If anyone has a brand of (non gel) fish oil to recommend feel free to do so, as well.

I'm about to fully hit HST again after many months of having been laid off due to injuries. The injuries were my fault, of course, but I've learned from them.

I've not only learned from them, but I want to make sure my joints are in even better health than they've been in the past, and I'm not getting any younger.

If I can take fish oils with all its benefits AND joint health then I won't have to take any joint supplements along with it, which would be very convenient.

Thanks!

<div>
(The Long Run @ Jul. 01 2009,11:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was just about to search for info on joint supplements and found this thread.  

I'd like to know if there are benefits for the joints with fish oils? If anyone has a brand of (non gel) fish oil to recommend feel free to do so, as well.</div>
Yes, Omega-3s help with inflammation, which leads to joint support. The big idea, again, is that your Omega6:Omega3 ratio is between 1:1 and 4:1. Americans get WAY too much Omega 6, which leads to inflammation.

Also, if you don't mind the 'spam' to my blog, I just wrote a piece on Recommended Joint Supplements. Fish oil is one of those, and I link to a benefits page with some studies posted there.

Welcome back to HST!!

This is all good news, *(abeit expensive) but that's the first time I'd heard that we get too much of anything except fat and/or carbs.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 08 2009,6:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This is all good news, *(abeit expensive) but that's the first time I'd heard that we get too much of anything except fat and/or carbs.</div>
Second paragraph right here from a trustworthy site:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-6-000317.htm

&quot;Inflammatory disorders&quot; is vague, of course, but here's more info from a study at Ohio State... I'm a Buckeye so I had to:
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/omega-3.htm

Typical sources of Omega-6:
* Safflower oil - the richest natural source
* Sunflower oil
* Corn oil
* Sesame oil
* Hemp oil (best balance of omega 6:3)
* Pumpkin oil
* Soybean oil
* Walnut oil
* Wheatgerm oil
* Evening Primrose oil

I bolded the crap that Americans get WAY too much of. I don't touch anything with corn or soy in it myself anymore, unless I get a bit too crazy at a party once in a blue moon.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 08 2009,6:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">*(abeit expensive)</div>
I don't want to get into a political battle here, but there's a reason why everything we eat has man-made chemicals from corn in it - cheap US government subsidies.

HFCS, corn oil, etc etc have been slowly killing this nation in an ocean of obesity, but hey it's grown locally and cheap thanks to your tax dollars. Why do you think they switched from sugar to corn-sweetener in Coca-Cola in the 70s? The answer is, sugar was too expensive after we completely moved off of the gold standard and started devaluing our dollar for various other reasons. (not that I'm defending sugar either...)

Either way, I'm off of it all and have never felt better.

Most work on joint pain and supplements are speicifc disease related pain

Rhematoid arthritis or OSteoathritis are the common oens for fish oil and glucosamine etc respectively.

The dose used for fish oil on rhematoid arthritis are often up 20-30grams per day

a.) I thought the price of sugar went up from the sugarcane strike, so the switch went to corn
b.) I have an impinged shoulder, which oils may/maynot help, but am now getting Arthur in the hands
c.) Dat's a LOTTA fish oil!

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered some and I'm gonna start taking 5g/day for a month. I'll up it to 10g/day after that if all goes well.

Re the dosage, some are trying 10g/day, while there is mention of as much as 20-30g.

But how does this translate into EPA and DHA grams per day? What are people aiming for? 2g of each per day?

I've seen capsules ranging from 100 to 500mg of DHA per cap, and EPA was likewise quite varied. Havent looked at any straight oils yet. Do these vary widely as well?

<div>
(trump @ Jul. 14 2009,3:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Re the dosage, some are trying 10g/day, while there is mention of as much as 20-30g.

But how does this translate into EPA and DHA grams per day? What are people aiming for? 2g of each per day?

I've seen capsules ranging from 100 to 500mg of DHA  per cap, and EPA was likewise quite varied. Havent looked at any straight oils yet. Do these vary widely as well?</div>
Just one study here, and not exactly targeted for us, but for your consideration:

6g fish oil per day (DHA 1.56 g/day, EPA 0.36 g/day) reduced heart rate and heart rate variability in overweight adults with risk factors for future coronary disease. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18339222

2g each per day sounds like a good idea

Yeah, I just bought some liquid fish oil. I hadn't tried these before, but the taste is fine, a bit like a weak flavoured medicine. I think the brand I got is a little expensive, so I might have to shop around some more in future. The one I got is a high strength fish oil, it sports approx 2g of EPA and 1g of DHA per 5ml, so one spoon in the morning and night will have me covered pretty easily. I figured I'd try this more &quot;concentrated&quot; type first, saves me consuming lots of oil or like 10 capsules a day.

I was watching an infomercial with salesbastard Kevin Trudeau today, interviewed by a &quot;doctor&quot; (who knew a surprising amount about Kevin's product...ya think?) and he's claiming that the glucosamine/chondroitin supps we buy in the US are weak and ineffective, the truth being buried by his regular nemesis, the Drug companies.
Of course, he's developed his OWN supermega supp that does work according to him and his &quot;doctor&quot;.
I'm raising my dosage to 12g. oil now, still awaiting results. And I've run out of Gluc/chondroitin, so I'll know if it works.

it is claimed omega 3 has many benefits, including heart health and joint health, however how does omega 3 enhance fat loss and/or muscle fiber hypertrophy??

Anybody with any information regarding the mechanisms??

<div>
(ratty @ Jul. 20 2009,11:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">it is claimed omega 3 has many benefits, including heart health and joint health, however how does omega 3 enhance fat loss and/or muscle fiber hypertrophy??

Anybody with any information regarding the mechanisms??</div>
None that I've seen, but it might still be possible.

One fatty acid that has shown promise in fat-loss is CLA, and it's pretty cheap. See my Conjugated Lenoleic Acid Benefits page.

The studies are done on obese people, but they were still blinded and all.

Too much can give you the squirts, especially if you don't take it with food, for me even 3x1000mg caps in single dose can sometimes have an effect. Not a good experience when making a presentation at work in front of lots of people! It took me a while to workout what the cause was, given it only happened less than once a week when I was taking 4caps 3x a day (that's what they recommended for arthritis sufferers, so I didn't expect any problems)

Also there are also some other dangers of high levels of fish oil to bear in mind eg.
•thinning of the blood can increase risk of a stroke (especial when going for that new max on the bench, ha ha!!)
•might suppress the immune system
•can increase glucose levels if you have diabetes

(also I recall some downside to do with vitamins?)

Just a quick update - still taking in 10-15g per day - still experiencing noticeable joint benefits and no noticeable negative results. Haven't gotten sick once while &quot;on&quot; fish oil so my immune system fears are quickly waning (at least in regards to the dosage I take). I would have to go get my training log to be absolutely certain (it's late I'm tired so F@@@ that) but I'm almost certain it's been 20 weeks of daily dosing.:)

I have a question....call me a pansy...but everytime I try to take a fish oil capsule....I burp this awful...and I mean awful raw fish taste for hours and hours....it makes me feel sick and I can't take it.

Is there anyway around this or a better supplement to take
rock.gif

Back