Fish vs Flax

Mindwraith

1 tablespoon of Flax seed oil contains about 8g of Omega 3's and 6's. Which is the recommended amount. This is what I've been using for well over 2 months now.

I keep hearing people talk about fish oil, is this not for the same reason and is there really a difference or is it just an either or?

The amounts of DHA/EPA are much better in the fish oil, flax etc. contain very few. There is a good thread on this topic on the board. Do a search.

You get EPA and DHA (the beneficial eicosanoids) directly from fish oil. Flax contains alpha-linolenic acid which converts to EPA and then DHA. There are some concerns on whether this conversion is effective enough.

Personally speaking, I've been taking grounded flax seed for a few months and I have noticed quite a few good things on me. So, I think it's a good source of EPA & DHA. I wouldn't trust flax seed oil however. I have bought a dedicated flax seed grinder and grinding flax has become a breeze. 15 seconds are enough. And you get all the fiber and some good protein too.

From time to time however, I switch to fish oil caps. Just for a change...

i've also been hearing about Hemp oil, pressed from hemp seeds. it supposedly contains the "perfect balance of omega 6, 3, and 9 fatty acids" as well as CLA and other EFA's. Any thoughts/experience with this?

Back