Flax Seed Oil storage

Juanxer

My only practical source of flax oil supplementation here in Spain is a small Olympus Sport store nearby who sells ASN Flax Oil ('Advanced Scientific Nutrition' seems to be OS’s own brand).

My issue is: this Flax Oil is stored in not-so-opaque white plastic bottles (you can see through a bit) at room temperature (locale’s conditioned air). Is this safe? The bottle’s instructions say it must be stored in a cool place, protected from light. The oil inside is this slightly brownish. Is this OK? Also, should it be stored in the fridge at home?

I really don’t know what is acceptable in this matter, and I want to be careful.

Now, an idle curiosity question: what was the deal with MCT oil? I remember it becoming a star supplement in the mags some years ago. Is it useful in any way?

Regards

It's my understanding that flax oil goes rancid quickly. You should only buy it from a refrigerated case at the store, and don't cook with it. I've also heard that rancid flax oil is particularly unhealthful. If these are gym myths, I hope someone will correct me.

Back