? for those who don't get enough protein

ajntorinj

I continually read posts on messageboards and newsgroups about people who cannot get enough protein in their bulking diets and therefore rely on MRPs or whey shakes. When I'm bulking, I cannot help but get more than enough protein. However, I factor in every single gram into my Excel spreadsheet (I count calories everyday this way) whether they come from chicken breast, bran flakes, tuna, or oatmeal. I'm curious if everybody counts their protein this way, or do some people figure that some grams of protein, depending on their source, 'don't count.' I just find it hard to believe one cannot get enough protein when consuming an excess of calories. Thanks.

Put a check in the "count everything" column for me.

I regularly supp with protein, as sometimes I am just too dang lazy to prep whole food but still need the protein. But under normal circumstances, I'm with you, I have no problem getting enough.

I personally don't eat any kind of meats or dairy products, so getting "enough" protein can be quite difficult for me. I estimate that on days that I don't work out I eat about 60 - 90 grams. ( I don't meticulously count my calories - protein / carbs / fats ).

And on days that I do workout, I drink a vege-fuel protein shake (soy protein isolate 30grams) before my work out. And immediately after my work out I get a WorldWide Rapid recovery protein drink that has 35 grams of ion exchange whey. I guess that that brings my protein intake to... say... 120 to 150 grams on work out days. I know this is not anywhere close to what most of you would consider a proper amount, but hey, I do what I can.
tounge.gif

by the way I'm 32 - 6ft. - 190lbs.

p.s. I just found that list of foods and their values on bodybuilder.com or whatever that site is that beast writes for. This will help me find a more accurate count for my protein each day.

I'm curious as to where you guys find the values for your foods? And are you seriously going around weighing and measuring everything you eat every day?

I count all protein in meat and dairy. I don't count protein in fruits, vegetables, or grain/cereals. My total is a little more than I think due to the protein in the fruits etc. that I don't figure into my calculations. That last sentence sounds complicated hu? Didn't mean for it to be. This is an easy process and I don't mean for it to sound complicated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm curious as to where you guys find the values for your foods? And are you seriously going around weighing and measuring everything you eat every day?

I get nutritional info from the USDA search page. They also have the full database and an accompanying program available for download.

Unfortunately I count everything because it helps me to be disciplined. I'd like to be one of those guys who can bulk and cut without any kind of calorie counting, but I'm not. I hope that one day I may become one of them :D

All protein, from vegetable or meat should be counted. Just because the amino acids are from vegetables doesnt mean they are any different to other sources.

Some bb'rs have problems becuase of two reasons

1) They want a rediculous amount of protien daily, sometiems 4+g/kg daily
2) They dont count anything but meat and protein powder

I think Haiyai means that the protein amounts in vegetables are so small that he doesn't feel they're worth counting; they're lost in the rounding errors when you try to guess how much chicken or whatever you actually ate.

All -- fitday is really great for tracking calories. It does the work and keeps a log for you, and even lets you look up all sorts of foods and enter your own custom stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ June 06 2003,6:51)]I think Haiyai means that the protein amounts in vegetables are so small that he doesn't feel they're worth counting; they're lost in the rounding errors when you try to guess how much chicken or whatever you actually ate.
Evne then, protein amounts in veges/carb sources can add up to quite a significant amount. Its easy enough to eat 60-70g a day from carb based sources

Just to add some numbers:
100g whole bread =7-8g prot
100g soy bread =12g prot
100g pasta =11-13g prot
100g oatflakes =12g prot
100g rice =7-8 g prot
100g special K =15g prot
100g canned beans =6-8g prot
100g natural PB =22g prot
and keep in mind that specially while bulking its easy (and adviced) eat a lot of those carbos so actually you gain quite a lot of proteins from cho and seed sources;anyway definately not a trascurable amount.

Back