Forum Membership

colby2152

This forum has been around for about 5 years now, so we should figure some way to dedicate the members that have been here since the start...

(In another unrelated forum I discuss in, there is a feature that the mods added a year ago that relates to how long a member on the board has been around.)

Pins
For example, we could have pins (small logos under the avatar) that represent how long a member has been around for, specifically past a given milestone whether it be 2, 3, 5 years. It highlights the senior members, not just the guys who have posted a lot. (which we have the stars for)

Benefits for being here for a while
Extra signature space, and more pixels for larger avatar!

I want to hear some people's thoughts on this, especially JV, Dan, Aaron, and Bryan.

I belong to discussfitness.com, and the site is free, but you can buy "premium" membership for $1 per month (that's $12 per year for the math=impared...
laugh.gif
).

That gets you a larger avatar, picture storage space (I think), access to a couple more forum areas, and a subscription to their newsletter.

Not sure if any of that would apply here, but it would generate a small cash flow to offset some of the expenses in running the site.

Bryan doesn't even have advertisement here. God bless him, I'm glad for the free resource.

What if a guy had only posted say, ten times in five years? He qualify? I think being a post hog has it's merits!
If Bryan wanted to advertise on this awesome site, I wouldn't blink an eye!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If Bryan wanted to advertise on this awesome site, I wouldn't blink an eye!
</div>

Ditto that. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just showing my gratitude for the site!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What if a guy had only posted say, ten times in five years? He qualify? I think being a post hog has it's merits!</div>

I was waiting for a question like that. We would have people like that, but at least they came back or were lurking the entire time. Maybe they were too shy to post. We could also set a minimum amount of posts along with tenure as a restriction...

LOL Im not much of a poster but I lurk with the best of them
biggrin.gif
So many members are great and answer all the questions and come up with great discussions we have. I just like to skower over all the info and take it in. Thanks to our great and proactive members. Cheers to them!
cool.gif

Sphinx

Edit: wow april '02, where did the time go?

Er, pay? advertisements? improved GUI?

C'mon lets keep it real! What are more graphics gonna bring to the party - what HST'ers want, need & get are the cold hard facts; without the modern day fluff.

Information is King.

Otherwise we might as well totter over to BB.com
laugh.gif

I agree. I tend to first look at what a guy is saying, then if it sounds wrong, I look at how many posts he has to get an idea if he's new or not; of course there are anomalies like Sphinx.
You could have a four inch avatar and be a total putz.

I too don't give a monkey's about the fluff. As DM says "the info is king" here. That and the folks who post here are what make this place such a virtual gold mine.

Since jvroig sorted the board it's been working fine. I would hate for something to spoil that.

Its my five year aniversary! Woo-Hoo! Do I get a cake? Ill take a chocolate Driver flavoured one! LOL

Sphinx

I'm with sphinx, timewise at least...only I like to talk BS or is HST? Hell can't remember!
laugh.gif

Do I get cake too?

Yeah not much bothered about trimmings, info is king, that's why I'm still here!
cool.gif

I see I must have "cheesed" someone as my ratings have dropped, tuff...who cares?
tounge.gif

When you do the right thing some will always get "cheesed"!

Ratings dropped off? I was 'ere before Fausto - and I must say he's one of the "old guard!" Don't know what's going on regarding me only being registered since 2004 though...

Was it blue cheese?
rock.gif

Don't mind the ratings. They can range from totally on the mark to totally senseless.

It's simply an average of all ratings given to you by all members who decided to rate you... even if that member has been around for 1 day, his rating carries the same weight as another member who has been around for 5 years. Don't put too much stock on it. Even just 1 rating of 4 besides 100 ratings of 5 will never give you a "perfect 5" score, even if that single 4 rating was given by a member who just disappeared from the board after a single post.

And even though we have 7000+ members here, it might surprise you to know that most people here are only rated by 1-7 people. That's it. Not even close to 20. That's just almost 0.1% of our population. As such, It is a totally inaccurate measurement of how much the members of the board value you.

Regards,
-JV

I guess I ought to get on with some scoring then. Lemme see, did I LIKE Fausto, or NOT like Fausto??? Oh heck, I'll just flip a coin!
laugh.gif

No worries bro; you're all okay by me!

<div>
(quadancer @ May 07 2007,19:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I guess I ought to get on with some scoring then. Lemme see, did I LIKE Fausto, or NOT like Fausto??? Oh heck, I'll just flip a coin!
laugh.gif

No worries bro; you're all okay by me!</div>
Was it heads or tails?

Back