From machine to free weights

Stretchman

Switched over today from a regular machine ( weider 9940 )
to free weights at my local gym. Had a pretty good workout.

Squats
Leg Extensions
Leg curls
Bench Press
Chins
Dips

Feels kind of weird. Pretty abbreviated. Normally I would have
done isolation, but chins and dips (assisted) felt like a work set. Coming back off of SD, and need some advice, because my ability to lifty heavier weight has disappeared somewhere, on everything except my legs.

My bench press from machine at about 165 dropped to like 115, and I could only squeeze out about 12. My max on the machine was somewhere in the neighborhood of 230 lbs, and I have no idea what it is now. Their really nice bench press machine is unfortunately broken, so I am kind of at a loss.

My reals q's are,

Do I need to add more exercises?

Will my working weight come back up?

Do you occasinally feel like a wimp because you know that if you were at home instead of at the gym that your lifts would be better?

BTW, if this works out, and I like the free weighrts better (kind of hoping) then I will probably buy my own set and a bench and squat cage for the house, if it is in the budget. So be brutally honest if you can, so I don't make a mistake and do something maybe I shouldn't to sway me either way. One thing is certain. Working out at home is less distracting, and more focused.

Stretch

The only part I personally can answer, is I love working out at home. I can blast any music I want, usually 70's rock. If my water bottle empties, I just go refill it. I don't have to tote all my wrist, ankle weights, shorts/sweats, my holy Zep shirt or anything else in. I don't have to wait for a machine,(1 line no waiting, plus I only have two machines anyway everything else is free weight) I don't have to worry about the other people and whether or not they are going to rage out and throw a DB or BB in my direction. And best of all when I'm done I simply strip right there and walk to my shower, no need to go to a shower/changing room.

Only downfall, no spotter to help with negs.

Yeah, I agree totally. Got to figure the cost of a cage, the bench and the weights. But I think it'll be worth it. Waiting on my bike to come out of the shop. Plus, I really do have to get a job. Been kicking back for too long.

Stretch

Another thing that really irks me. I am trying to work out. They have disco suck music on. I am losing my pump. I look around, and there are people yakking on cell phones. I am trying to work out here, people!!! Then, they put this chick in a wheelchair onto the seated press rack. But she doesn't llift. No, they tie some rubber band things to the uprights, and away she goes. In the middle of the free weight section?

I love free weights. They give me a better pump with a lot less weight. And I really feel the workouts. But I doubt sincerely that I am going to put up with much more of the crap that I had to go through today. I think it is definitely time for a home set. As soon as possible.

Stretch

Try some adjustible dumbbells and a simple bench for starters. That's what I plan to do eventually. Then DB squats, SLDLs, bench, rows, presses, will all be doable without a cage or anything.

I did the complete home gym, rack, flat/incline bench, utility stool, seated calf, pull up/dip stand, DB rack and DBs.... best money I ever spent.

And I bought some extra plates and bars used off classifieds.

Probably $1700 total, but well worth it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stretchman @ May 18 2004,9:53)]My reals q's are,
Do I need to add more exercises?
Will my working weight come back up?
You can certainly add more exercises, do a more traditional split - whatever you want. Whatever feels good to you. I really like a full body routine, even if it's abbreviated, like yours, but you can certainly toy with alternating upper/lower, front/back, picka 3-day split, whatever appeals to you.

Yes, your weights will come back up, but it may take a little time for your stabilizer muscles to balance out with the primary movers on each lift.

Back