Fucoxanthin

Bulldog

Fucoxanthin seems to be the next hot topic in the fat loss supplement arena.  Is there any promise in this or is it just going to turn out to be another useless waste of money?

Fucoxanthin from edible seaweed, Undaria pinnatifida, shows antiobesity effect through UCP1 expression in white adipose tissues.

Maeda H, Hosokawa M, Sashima T, Funayama K, Miyashita K.

Laboratory of Biofunctional Material Chemistry, Division of Marine Bioscience, Graduate School of Fisheries Sciences, Hokkaido University, Hakodate, Hokkaido 041-8611, Japan.

Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1) is usually expressed only in brown adipose tissue (BAT) and a key molecule for metabolic thermogenesis to avoid an excess of fat accumulation. However, there is little BAT in adult humans. Therefore, UCP1 expression in tissues other than BAT is expected to reduce abdominal fat. Here, we show reduction of abdominal white adipose tissue (WAT) weights in rats and mice by feeding lipids from edible seaweed, Undaria pinnatifida. Clear signals of UCP1 protein and mRNA were detected in WAT of mice fed the Undaria lipids, although there is little expression of UCP1 in WAT of mice fed control diet. The Undaria lipids mainly consisted of glycolipids and seaweed carotenoid, fucoxanthin. In the fucoxanthin-fed mice, WAT weight significantly decreased and UCP1 was clearly expressed in the WAT, while there was no difference in WAT weight and little expression of UCP1 in the glycolipids-fed mice. This result indicates that fucoxanthin upregulates the expression of UCP1 in WAT, which may contribute to reducing WAT weight.

PMID: 15896707 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Regardless, the mice still had to diet and exercise.
biggrin.gif

Always interesting to see new research start a new craze!

I like Quad's idea. Let's do a study on a strict diet of lab mice and see what the effect is!!!

BTW, is there a curse word in the nake of that chemical!?!?!?!
biggrin.gif

That depends. What's a <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">nake</div>?
laugh.gif

I'm right along with you there, though. I see a couple of dirty words.

FUCoxanthin
fuCOXanthin

I'm still trying to figure out what a Xanthin is, but I'll bet its dirty.

I hate words that use an &quot;X&quot; that has to be pronounced as a &quot;z&quot;, since it's impossible otherwise. It simply goes against proper english rules and seems to be the creation of some dweeb scientist (no offense Aar) that is trying to sound cool.
Punk.

Back