Gatordude's Log

WORKOUT #9

@ 77%

Incline Bench 150 x 10, 10
Dumbell OH 45 x 10, 10
Pendlays 140 x 8, 6, 6
Squats 190 x 8, 6, 6
**Calf Raises (standing) 200 x 15

Don't know why, but incline was a walk in the park today. Not that it's a lot of weight but I really felt like a monster compared to Monday and I could have gone even further than 10 reps each set. However, I'm just going to be grateful because I know the road ahead is going to be TOUGH getting into the 80's and 90 percents. I am REALLY starting to love squats and DL's. I have to get a little wider of a stance or else my back kills me but it really feels great in my legs doing them. They used to be my least favorite.

I don't think I am going to include pendlays in my next cycle. I would take them out now, but I believe I should finish what I started. They just seem to be a huge strain on my lower back, and the idea that it will be supporting 185 pounds at the end of this cycle, regardless of it only being for a second, makes me hurt already.

Other than that, loving this routine. Week 3 complete, on to 4.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ May 18 2007,07:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;I don't think I am going to include pendlays in my next cycle....&quot;</div>
what lift would you consider adding in place of Pendlay's' for the next go around?

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 19 2007,12:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ May 18 2007,07:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;I don't think I am going to include pendlays in my next cycle....&quot;</div>
what lift would you consider adding in place of Pendlay's' for the next go around?</div>
Hmm, I'm not exactly sure to be quite honest. Perhaps wide-grip pull ups or maybe pulldowns? Right now, I'm doing close grip chins that I feel a lot more in my bi's and not getting the width on my lats I used to with the wide grip pull ups. If my lower back could handle the pendlays I'd stick with them.

WORKOUT # 10

@ 77%

Dips BW + 52.5 x 10, 10
Chins BW + 25 x 10, 10
Upright Rows 90 x 10, 10
Deadlift 175 x 10, 10
**Standing Calf Raises 220 x 15
**Skull Crushers 60 x 15
**Barbell Curls 45 x 15

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist doing some arm iso's at the end today... had some extra time
wink.gif
. Again, I am still repping out what I can, and then using MS to get to around 10 or so. Not doing leg training for a couple years is really starting to kick in. My DL's today were hard as crap, while all my other lifts are a little easier. I still love the burn that DL's and squats are giving me lately... but I can tell that my legs are struggling to keep up with the rest. Getting into the 80's for the next few workouts.

WORKOUT #11

@ 80%

Incline Bench 155 x 8, 6, 6
Pendlays 150 x 8, 6, 6
Dumbell OH 50 x 8, 6, 6
Squats 200 x 8, 6, 6

I'm definitely looking forward to dropping down to 15 next week. The pendlays and squats were tough! I was suprised at how well I did in the workout considering how tired I was. I've decided on next week going 15 total reps for 2 weeks, then finishing off with 2 weeks of 10 total reps. This will give me a more or less scenario of 3x5 for 2 weeks then 2x5 for two weeks.

On another note, even though I try to not get on the scale but maybe once a week.. I weighed in at my heaviest AM weigh-in at right under 150. I usually am not there until afternoon/night after I've eaten a good bit. So that was somewhat pleasing. However, this cycle is seeming more like a slow bulk for me than a full-blown bulking one. I've definitely put on some weight but I'm looking more ripped than ever. I'm going to make a concious effort to really eat a lot more in the second half of this cycle as I get into the 5's.

Workout #12

@ 80%

Dips BW + 55 x 10, 10
Chins BW + 27.5 x 8, 6, 6
Upright Rows 90 x 10, 10
Deadlifts 180 x 6, 6, 6, 2
**Calf Raise 240 x 15
**Skull Crushers 60 x 15
**Barbell Curls 45 x 15

Whew baby... half way there! Treated myself to some Friday iso's to get a little pump for the mirror. My legs were freaking pumped after the deadlifts. I will try to post some half way pics over the weekend. I'm really going to POUND the food the second half of this cycle. I am not stopping until I get to 165! (Don't laugh
cool.gif
)

Pendlays actually grew on me the last workout.. thinking about maybe keeping them next cycle? I know they are a great exercise... so maybe I will tough it out on my lower back.

WORKOUT #13

@ 83%

Incline Bench 160 x 5, 5, 5
Pendlays 150 x 5, 5, 5
Dumbell OH 55 x 5, 5, 5
Squats 205 x 5, 5, 5

Happy Memorial Day everyone... so I'm starting the second half of my cycle and getting into the beginning of the 5's.... I'm sure it's a lot of mental thinking, but even though I'm technically cluster repping... I was feeling like I needed to rack the weight after 5 reps every set. I'm going to try and get that out of my head , but I figured dropping my reps down to 15 would more or less emulate 3 sets of 5 anyways.

I had a hell of a weekend... so this workout wasn't my best. But I'm glad I did it even though I really didn't want to wake up this morning. I'll be back on track sleep wise for my Wednesday workout which I'm looking forward to doing some deads. Don't know what it is, but Pendlays are definitely still growing on me. I guess my lower back is finally catching up on some things.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ May 28 2007,10:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I guess my lower back is finally catching up on some things.</div>
You'll find that in order to grow stronger, your lower back must catch up, one way or another. Putting a big focus on the lower back now as opposed to later is a big feather in your cap!

RAWWWRR. Even though I'm sure no one gets up in the morning to see if the newest post to my log has been updated yet, I just thought I would vent because my gym's swipe card wasn't working this morning so no one could get in. I'm going to try and go after work tonight, but I've got a lot of things I need to get done.

Sorry for the ramble, thought I'd vent.
sad.gif

That sucks! That would really piss me off.

But that is one more reason I can add to my list as to why I love working out at home in my basement!
smile.gif

Workout #14

@ 83%

Dips BW + 57.5 x 5, 5, 5
Chins BW + 30 x 5, 5, 5
Upright Rows 95 x 5, 5, 5
Deadlifts 185 x 5, 5, 5
**Standing Calf Raises 280 x 10
**Barbell Curls 55 x 15

Ah, I'm glad I ended up getting it in tonight. I can barely walk from the deads (try not to laugh at the weight). But hey, that's what I get for not training legs for a couple years. I'm really trying to get the &quot;five rep mindset&quot; out of my head. I might force myself to MS to get to 6 or 7 each set on Friday.. because I know I can do it. If anyone's confused, I am cluster repping 15 reps right now, which was supposed to only resemble the 5's, not exactly be it. Because I was doing 5 pounds less for 20 reps a week ago, I know I'm just letting it play a mind game with me.

Anyways, I posted a halfway pic on the pictures section. I had some good lighting to my benefit, but I'm pleased as to where everything is going. My arms have gotten a little smaller, but the gains everywhere else more than make up for it.

Workout #15

@ 86%

Incline Bench 165 x 7, 5, 3
Pendlays 160 x 5, 5, 5
Dumbell OH 55 x 6, 6, 3
Squats 215 x 5, 5, 5

My pecs were pretty tight from the dips on Wednesday, and the bench really helped stretch my pecs out a little bit... felt good. I'm set on keeping Pendlay's for my next cycle. And as quad pointed out, I too feel like they should be pretty close in weight to what I'm doing on bench. My favorite on this exercise was the squats! They burned and felt so good on the legs. I'm trying really hard to get a little deeper each workout. Anyways, 3 more weeks to go. My muscles are feeling a lot more tight. I'm not going to say I've gained tons of inches or anything on my measurements but my muscles are noticeably harder which is good.

Workout #16

@ 86%

Dips BW + 60 x 5, 5, 5
Chins BW + 32.5 x 5, 5, 5
Upright Rows 100 x 5, 5, 5
Deadlifts 195 x 5, 5, 5
**Standing Calf Raises 280 x 10

Holy moly, the deads definitely held up to their own name today. Yeah, try not to laugh you 300, 400+ pullers, but damn I didn't think I was going to get it up once at first. Other than those, I really feel like I'm going to be able to extend the 5's for at least an extra week. Hopefully my legs were just a little tired or something, because I really want to get a least into the mid 200's soon, with my goal of 300 being before I go back to school in mid-August.

Anywho, all in all a great workout. I couldn't go this morning for work-related reasons, and will have to workout at night on Wednesday too. Which I don't mind being extra awake at the start, but I feel like I have as much energy towards the end of the workout.

Workout #17

@ 89%

Incline Bench 175 x 5, 5, 5
Pendlays 165 x 5, 5, 5
Dumbell OH 55 x 5, 5, 5
Squats 225 x 5, 5, 5

Incline is getting close to hitting the wall. The other three are still pushin' well. I do think a volume drop to 10 reps will be necessary starting next week. When I can't do that anymore I will SD. I'm hoping to pull this to at least 9 weeks so that I can go beyond the maxes I set. I figure I'll try and get a bit of HST, and SST all in one cycle. Either way, I'm going to play it by ear these last couple weeks. I'm starting to develop my next cycle based of what worked with this one, and what I think will work better.

Will be interesting to see
cool.gif

nice lifting Gator...I can't wait until I'm &quot;in the fives&quot; and setting new maxes.

I like the idea of dropping a set/reducing volume as you're getting closer to maxes. may have to incorporate that myself.

how are the DB OH presses going for you? I just started that exercise and really felt it during the 15's...great lift.

I like 'em, but I think I'm going to switch over to barbell next cycle. Not necessarily because I think it's much better (I honestly don't know) but I want to be able to say I've tried both... and go from there.

Thanks a lot F1 and FF. I checked to see what the 5 rep maxes were on my maxes, and they are more or less what I am working out with right now. That is perfect, as it is right along with a vanilla cycle at the end of the 6th week. I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks to get my numbers up.

Back